UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » What Colour Black?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 26-06-2021, 01:38 PM   #1
PPuxley

Bike: M900
What Colour Black?

I have a query and Im posting it outside my build thread so it catches any who may have glazed over from that!

Its to do with the “correct” colour Black Metallic for a 1995 Monster M900.

My quandary arises from receiving the bike having been resprayed, it was manufactured Black Metallic and was resprayed Black Metallic but while close, I don’t know whether it was resprayed the same Black.

Then whilst sourcing a new old stock front mudguard, I expected to have to respray it from the standard red, however when it arrived it was Black Metallic…..but a dark less sparkly Black Metallic than what I had on the resprayed bike.

Initially I made the assumption being NOS and Black Metallic that this would be the correct original Black of the original bike and all I would have to do was to match the rest of the sprayed panels to that mudguard when I undertook the respray of the other panels

But am I right, or were there a number of Black Metallics from Ducati used on various models of that period?
If the answer was …Yes, then my quest for the “correct” colour for this bike isn’t over
If the answer is -No there was only one Metallic Black out of the factory regardless of model at that time, then I have my colour.
And of course theres the other answer I am getting used to hearing, and that is - The particular shade of any colour that came out of the factory depended on the day of the week and who was spraying that day.

NOS Mudguard

Resprayed Mudguard that came on the bike ( lighter more sparkly Black)