UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Cans, Tyres, Brakes, etc. » Zero rebound is OK ???

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 13-01-2018, 11:05 AM   #1
jerry
Old Git

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Zero rebound is OK ???

set Zero rebound on my S4 forks as an experiment !!!

Usually they are set rebound 4-18 and compression 7-16 bike handles great and suprise was the suspension is much more compliant , and comfy but also bike is more stable ??

this is confusing the forks at zero are not pogoing back on compression with zero rebound as soon as i added even 1 click of rebound the front end felt harsh over bumps again at anything more than 40mph ,
its clear that these forks dampers work best for high speed damping which is fine by me ,

even on the bumpiest roads i could find today at speeds up to 125mph front end was safe , comfy and no nasty handling although the famous S4 wobble just began to start if I was to press on to 130+mph etc I guess that maybe a steering damper is going to have to be considered .

also the front end was nicer over thosee horrible washboard type concrete roads which are common in some areas ..you know what i mean ...

But I need to under stand why setting zero rebound is good ,, are my forks K Teck damping ciruits valving wrong ,,????

i even added a couple of clicks of extra compression damping and still the bike feels nice ,, its certainly less bumpy all round and more relaxed to ride ,,and still corners fine

im happy but perplexed

forks are Showa SBK type off a 996
with KTeck valving and bushes and Ohlins 7.5nm springs ,, 7.5w oil , airgap 125mm springs out , Sag 28mm , preload is 4 lines out , forks are dropped thru yokes 20mm as 996 ones are 10mm longer than S4 ones

The rear Shock is an OHLINS PRCS 46 fully adjustable extras and external remote preload ,, no worries with its settings which are compression 12/24 rebound 15/40 sag 30mm , preload 5 /10 clicks