UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Pushing Pistons Up & Down

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 19-12-2016, 11:50 AM   #1
Kato
Dismantled

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Pushing Pistons Up & Down

I started a little sub project a few months back, probably very unwise as I have so many things to get finished the last thing I need is more distraction.
Anyway the idea came about following a conversation with a mate, we were talking in general about club racing using Ducati based bikes and how it was actually quite tricky as there are not that many classes (other than SBK) that Duc’s can be competitive, an M600/600SS however highly tuned is going to get nowhere near an R6, this lead on to the one or two classes where we could be competitive power wise but cannot make the capacity limits, or we could make the limit but a Monster or SS with clip-ons is just not going to cut it the class rules do not allow massive mods, but you can change bore and stroke, exhaust as long as the basic bike is what it started life as!

More about the class in mind bike/engine combination if and when it happens

After a bit of messing about with crank/rod/piston combination it was quickly obvious that Ducati don’t make the right combination of parts, rods being the main problem, Pankl, Carrillo etc will all sell me rods but only in the std lengths, Arrow will make anything I want but at a stupid cost and that’s where I should have left it, however…….I have now been working with a very well known (in racing) UK firm to overcome the problem and as a result now have prototype H-beam billet rod, initial modelling results show equal or better numbers than of the shelf Carrillo rods, and the cost to me is much less, so if all goes to plan early next year I should be able to offer Steel billet rods to you lot at very favourable prices…….

Kato is offline   Reply With Quote