UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Dynajet stage 1 1997 M900

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-04-2016, 05:06 PM   #1
Gino

Dynajet stage 1 1997 M900

Hello all,
I've recently been off the road with my Monster. It started with one of the ignition pick up coils failing which I replaced, while I was at it I removed the çarbs, checked valve clearances, ultrasonically cleaned the carbs and rebuilt them using a dynajet stage 1 kit. I'm not shooting for the stars with performance, just something suitable for running K&N filter along with straight through (marving) baffles. The bike wasn't shabby with its performance before starting the work.

Anyway, took it for its maiden voyage this morning and it was absolutely plop!!

I set the carbs up as per the instructions, pilot screws out by 3.5 turns, were originally 4.5, but it ran like a dog. I left the floiat heights at 10mm as the bike ran fine with previously, in saying that, I did adjust them to 14mm but they didn't seem right, they were almost locked in position (very limited travel) at that height.

Anyway, while running it, at town speeds, part throttle the bike ran very rough, this improved by adding a touch on the choke lever. at WOT it seemed to pull OK but once in a while the acceleration completely died under heavy throttle.
Idle was completely cocked up too, really high then eventually dropping to the point where it would stall.
I haven't balanced the carbs yet which I will do, it's almost like I have a massive air leak but I was very careful putting it all back together.
Any one else suffered similar problems?

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Gino.