UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Just got my first bike !!!!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-03-2014, 11:02 AM   #31
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
An alternative to that, which has the same effect but slightly less marked, is to increase the rear sprocket from the std 41T to 43T.
This should give you a similar improvement at low revs without losing too much off your top speed.
It also gives the chain an easier time as it prefers going round a bigger sprocket....14T at the front is ok, but 15T is better.
Renthal do an alloy rear sprocket that will save a decent chunk of weight too.
I've just done this myself, but can't report on its effectiveness as the bike is awaiting its annual return to the road at the moment.
It still fits with the std chain, though the rear wheel moves forward a bit on the adjusters (8mm on my bike).

Then again, some prefer the std gearing.....I might even do so myself.
I just gave it a go because I happened across a cheap alloy sprocket.

One potentially very valuable mod is to fit a crankcase saver, which might prevent serious engine damage in the event of a chain snapping and jamming on the front sprocket.
Its a tight fit on my 750 though, but one advantage of the smaller 14T front sprocket is that it gives you a little more room to fit one.

Oh, and now that I think of it, due to an error in the system, backed up by an error in the manual, its very possible for the front sprocket to have been fitted the wrong way round, causing a 10mm error in chain alignment.
I think you have the earlier crankcases, so yours may be different, but on my later bike the 10mm boss/flange on the sprocket needs to be on the outside, not the inside as it came from the factory.
Maybe your service guy could check the sprocket alignment while he's doing the other work ?
A telltale sign is a slight misalignment between the chain and the plastic protector strip on the top of the swingarm.
Don't fret too much though....mine ran like that for over 10k miles and seems to be fine.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote