UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Electrics » No Red Key or Keycard

Old 06-06-2017, 02:42 PM   #1
tricolore

Bike: Multiple Monsters
No Red Key or Keycard

Thinking of buying an S4. The seller has said he's lost the red key and keycard so basically has one key.

I've read somewhere you can clone another key but that doesn't solve the key card problem.

What are my options and is not having the key card a problem ?
tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 03:00 PM   #2
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

The Red Key is used to code more black keys. the Code card is if you don't have a key coded to switch off the immobiliser by entering the numeric code using the throttle I believe. I didn't get the code card with mine but I do have a red key.

If you can copy the coded black keys without the red key then it shouldn't be a problem, I don't think.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 03:11 PM   #3
Kato
Dismantled

Black keys are used to start the bike. When the bike turns on it will read the signal from the black key and a valid signal is required before the bike will start.

Red keys are primarily used to program the ECU to accept new signals. It's false that a red key is required for any service on your bike (unless that service is specifically programming new keys into the stock ECU).
Ducati has moved away from the red key and now only uses key cards on 08 and newer bikes.
Lost your red key?

You have a few solutions

Nothing. The red key is only used to program new signals, so as long as you have your black keys, you're OK!

Copy your black keys! You can get a new key cut from a blank as long as the dealer has a device that will read and copy the tranponder in the key, there are a few online but you will need to send them the only key you have, unsure who might do this in the UK.

Replace your ECU/Dash etc.. You will end up with a new red key, and a huge hole in your pocket (upwards of £1000+)

Upgrade your ECU. with a Nemesis or Microtec, this will remove the need for chipped keys altogether

The rock bottom budget solution would be something like get some non chipped keys cut and glue/tape/somehow fix the one chipped ket to the bike in range of the ariel then use the dumb keys

Sometimes dealers kept a record of the keycard numbers so if you are really lucky and you know who the original dealer was you could ask them.

Am sure there are other options so its not the end of the world but if it were me I'd be expecting all this to be reflected in the asking price

Last edited by Kato; 06-06-2017 at 03:19 PM..
Kato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 06:14 PM   #4
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Virgin DP ECU's didn't come coded and the immobiliser was off, so you might be able to get one of those. They do pop up on fleabay from time to time, but not that often and you'd have to be certain that if they were fitted that they weren't ever red keyed.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 08:31 PM   #5
Jez900ie
Pleasantly surprised!

Bike: M900ie
OK so to be totally clear, does the red key completely eliminate the need for a key card?

Is the keycard basically a written copy of the code embedded into the red key?

As you can guess I have the red key but no key card.