UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Project M1000ie DS

Old 19-03-2021, 10:39 PM   #1
Nasher

Bike: M900
Project M1000ie DS

My new project rocked up in the back of a van yesterday, so I thought I ought to introduce it, and the plan.

My recently completed 1000SSie DS/900 Superlight project ( http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=58987 ) made me realise just how much of a peach the injected 1000 Duel Spark engine is, and how much of a development it is over my old M900 carburated engine, yet it’s still the air cooled 2 valve engine I like.

I initially thought about dropping a newer engine in my M900, but thought better of it, so my M900 is up for sale ( http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=59070 ) to make way for my new project.

The bike is a 2004 M1000ie DS.
I specifically wanted a conventional swingarm bike, that I can make look similar to my M900, but with the later engine.

It’s a very basic spec bike with non-adjustable forks and a steel swingarm, but not for long as I already have this lot to go in it, which apart from a lack of a small flyscreen, which I don’t want, will bring it up to M1000S spec.

Fully Adjust able Showas, Aluminium Swingarm, etc.

I’ll also be adding some of the other bits I took off my M900 and replaced with standard parts.

I will be after a decent rear shock for it as I can’t fit the Hyperpro I took off the M900 http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=59050
So if anyone has a used Ohlins or similar in 305mm length please let me know.
Old 19-03-2021, 10:39 PM   #2
Nasher

There is also a lot of other work required.
I’m sure you’ve guessed by now that I got a really good deal on it, it’s been sitting around for a while at a dealers, the MOT having run out months ago and it has no chance of passing one.

It does have a sought after pair of High level genuine Ducati Performance Remus Oval cans on it, which I’ll be taking off and replacing with the mid level set I took off the M900.

Personally I don’t like high level pipes on an early Monster, but love the noise the Remus DP cans make, hence taking the mid-level ones off my M900 to put on this.

The High level ones appear to be in good nick and will be for sale as soon as they come off the bike.

The Rizoma Clip-ons I had on the M900 will not fit this bike either so will also be for sale soon.
Which is a real shame as I really like them

The forks don’t come through the yokes on the M1000 to clamp to.
The Handlebar risers are built in to this bikes top yoke rather than separate on the early bikes.
The offset is 30mm on the later bikes and only 25 on the earlier bikes.

I’ll be removing the high Renthal bar’s it’s come with, and will probably fit an ST2/4 top yoke and bolt down clip-ons.
Old 19-03-2021, 10:40 PM   #3
Nasher

The bike really needs some love and attention, I’ll be doing the belts very quickly and giving it a full service, but the last owner appears to have neglected it rather.
I hope it’s not somebody on here, because I’m going to be rather scathing I’m afraid.

There is a lot of small tidying jobs to do, like the rear plastics are just hanging on, the undertray by 1 bolt, and you can see where it’s been touching the tyre as it’s been flapping around.

Why do people fit stupid tiny cheap aftermarket indicators, they just look rubbish, and the standard of these being fitted is crap.
I have some Oval shaped genuine Ducati ones with clear lenses that will look far better.

The airbox has been cut really roughly, but I’ll make a clamp ring for it instead and stick a K&N in there.

Interestingly my 1000SSie DS uses the same size filter and Airbox as the M900 and the 900SS I had, but this M1000 has a bigger area filter.
Old 19-03-2021, 10:41 PM   #4
Nasher

The first thing I noticed about the bike when wheeling it from the van to my workshop was how heavy the steering felt, and also it felt like the brakes were binding, so that was my first thing to investigate.

Before I even got it up on paddock stands I saw just ho badly worn both tyres are.
Who lets tyres get like this?

The heavy feel to the steering was explained by both tyres being really under inflated at less than 1 bar each. Putting some air in them made it feel much better.
I initially thought the low pressures were due to the bike standing for a while, but from the wear patterns it’s obviously been ridden around with under inflated tyres for quite a while.
Again, who does that and doesn’t notice?

Once I got it up on stands the front wheel span easily, but the back wheel was still stiff, but not evenly, and I at first suspected the rear disc was warped.
However when I unbolted the calliper and lifted it away, the wheel was still stiff to turn.

Then I discovered the most worrying thing I’ve found so far.

The stiffness in the rear wheel was due to the chain being really tight with no slack in it at all, taught in fact, with the adjustment bolts wound up tight.
Once loosened off the rear wheel span easily, but I’m hoping the output shaft bearing hasn’t been ruined by the idiot who adjusted the chain.

It feels very similar to the Rescue Dogs we take on every few years, in that it will now be looked after, and spoilt, in an attempt to make up for what it’s been put through in the past.

Nasher.
Old 20-03-2021, 12:22 AM   #5
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Nice find, Nasher. Can't wait to see the finished article. Should be the ultimate classic Monster.

I definitely agree with you about the DS motor - it's the best of the bunch from the factory, I think. I had mine bored out to 1078cc and it was just about perfect. (It's taken a lot of fettling to get the motor in my 1100 Evo to be anything like as sweet.)

Hard to believe any Ducati owner could let it get into that state - it must have felt horrible to ride the last time it was out. I think any prospective Ducati owner should have to obtain a "certificate of competency" before bring allowed take delivery. This kind of abuse must not be tolerated!

Have fun!
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2021, 02:37 AM   #6
Moco1961

glad you found what you wanted,looking forward to seeing the transformation.Glws today
Old 20-03-2021, 05:56 AM   #7
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Airbox lid is most likely a DP one they just cut the tops off the standard ones with something like a bandsaw. Mine looks the same. Strange how it hasn't got the proper filter though, usually they come as a kit or with the DP exhaust/ECU kit.

Looks like it could be a decent bike once you've fixed all the previous bodgery. That indicator wiring is class! As you've mentioned, hopefully they haven't done too much more not easily fixed or replaced?

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2021, 07:07 AM   #8
Nasher

Thanks guys.

I've a couple more images to take, which I'll have some questions about, watch this space.

Nasher.
Old 20-03-2021, 12:43 PM   #9
alan s4

Bike: S4 challenge
Some heroic lean angles from the previous owner going by the wear on the front tyre!
alan s4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2021, 01:24 PM   #10
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

yeah, looks like its been on track to me.

Old 20-03-2021, 01:25 PM   #11
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Well the front at least maybe an ex track day tyre as the back doesn't look the same to me.

Old 20-03-2021, 04:10 PM   #12
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

If you do decide to go down the ST/S4 top yoke option let me know 'cos I have some bits which may help.

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...highlight=DRA1

The guy Peter bought the 1st set of the Cyclecat DRA1 clamps I had, and I don't think he needed them or used them in the end so he may still have them for sale, but I do have another set somewhere tucked safely away. I also have a modified S4 top yoke that could give you another option.

Old 20-03-2021, 06:36 PM   #13
Nasher

Darren

Hi

I am really interested in the Adaptors.
I already have a ST2 Yoke on the way.
Can you remove the Blue centres?
As I'm putting adjustable Showas in it I'd like to be able to get to the adjusters.

Nasher.
Old 20-03-2021, 07:45 PM   #14
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Well she looks pretty good Nasher. It's a damn good start as far as projects go, everything seems to be there, I'm exited for you..

The tyres do seem to point to a track day or two? Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, you wouldn't do too many flat out laps with a taught chain? The chain might be a worry. Perhaps the last owner didn't have it very long and the chain was erroneously or ignorantly over tightened causing a horrendous ride quality and racket, leading to a swift sale? Hopefully it didn't do too many miles like that. It may in fact have done no miles like that, if say the tyre(s) was put on for the sale, and the wheel roughly put back in?

I used to find no end of evidence of ignorance on the many and various Triumph twins I bought from the late seventies into the nineties. They would nearly always need the carbs balancing if they had two, the timing set and the valves adjusting. Fork oil was sometimes present, cables dry and stuff people just didn't seem to bother with. I once had a clutch fall out when I took the cover off.. Gawd knows how it was even working?

As I said to Dacs when he picked up his M1000Sie "You're the best thing that ever happened to that bike."

I'd be interested in some more pictures of the top yoke by the way, one of those might suit my project with 30mm offset.

Last edited by Mr Gazza; 20-03-2021 at 07:49 PM..
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2021, 11:14 AM   #15
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post
Darren

Hi

I am really interested in the Adaptors.
I already have a ST2 Yoke on the way.
Can you remove the Blue centres?
As I'm putting adjustable Showas in it I'd like to be able to get to the adjusters.

Nasher.
Yes, the blue covers screw out to give access to the fork top rebound and preload adjusters. They also have mounting eyes for the dash, which I'm not sure the ST bars will have but the S4 ones do have.

The only reason I didn't use them on my bike was they didn't work with the DP steering damper, they were just a bit too tall and would stop the bars turning. I suppose you could modify the damper height or make them a bit shorter if you intend to fit a yoke mounted steering damper like the DP one.

Last edited by Darren69; 21-03-2021 at 11:18 AM..