UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » First blood has been shed...

Old 21-06-2010, 08:58 PM   #1
Gunsoku

Lightbulb First blood has been shed...

First blood has recently been shed by a soldering iron and some aerosols of paint, so I suppose it's about time to raise my hand and tread forward from the comfortable shadows of lurking - apologies for the stench of molten plastic - that was me!

Bike-less
About a year and a half ago, I sold my Monster-dised 1989 Honda Hawk GT/BROS (see below) when I moved to London (CR4), intimidated by traffic mostly. It wasn't safe and in this British metropolis, public transport was fantastic anyway, so I wouldn't need it.

Ha. Ha.

Alfred
Having resisted the urge for as long as I did, last April I finally gave in and bought myself a beautiful S2R 800. I've always wanted a Monster and I can't explain in words how good it feels to finally own one. The first week it felt really weird, staring at it in disbelief of the fact I 1. actually owned a bike again and 2. it was a Monster.

The first month I was rather reserved in actually riding it - I took it out for spins and managed to put nearly 2K on the clocks in two months, but I wasn't a hundred percent comfortable on it yet. Even now, confidence is still growing and every time I go out for a ride, I'm amazed by how planted it feels, whilst being enormously agile and quick off the line. Over the last few weeks, I find myself opening up the throttle more and more and attacking corners more aggressively confident every time - it's a relationship between me and the bike that is steadily becoming more solid per mile. It's even got a name - Alfred!

Sorry
I promised myself to keep it short, so I suppose I need to apologise already - nobody likes a wall of text. In any case, I'm happy to join the UKMOC - over the last two months I've been following the threads religiously and I've found it to be a fountain of wisdom and a generally very mellow audience, which can't be said about all fora.

So thank you in advance, for your patience and knowledge!

Here are a couple of photos of Alfred and his predecessor - for more information feel free to check out the mini-blog (http://thingymadoodle.com/monster/) I created to keep all the inevitable changes and mods that will be, documented.

1989 Honda Hawk GT - Fireblade front end, radial brake mc, ABM triple + bars, Acewell clocks, custom paint, Ducati Monster seat and rear light...

Alfred. Yes, I've painted the covers...

...and the headlight. Lot more mods to come...

I've also started a to-do list, to keep things manageable.

Anyhoosle, time for me to shut up - thanks for reading this far. Any questions, remarks, insults or compliments may now be dumped below.

Cheers,
Ferdi.
Old 21-06-2010, 09:03 PM   #2
rac3r

I didn't read your post because I'm lazy but both bikes look sweeeeeeeeeeet!
Old 21-06-2010, 09:05 PM   #3
Gunsoku

I appreciate the honesty and compliment.

You're still a turd for not reading though.
Old 21-06-2010, 09:26 PM   #4
Liz
Co-ordination

Bike: S2r
I love the supermarket trolley in the background of that last photo - it looks so scared!!

I also have an S2R800 in black with a tangerine stripe. It's a great bike demanding much more respect in contrast to my '95 M600 - I just hope Louigi Moto can find it's intermittent immobiliser fault!
Old 21-06-2010, 10:08 PM   #5
rac3r

I read it now

Welcome!
Old 21-06-2010, 10:24 PM   #6
Gunsoku

Ta rac3r, appreciated!

@Liz_62 - Haha, had exactly the same thought when I looked down my viewfinder, loved his bent 'paws'.
Old 21-06-2010, 10:43 PM   #7
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
The 1st shot of the S2R in the carpark would make a great calander shot

Welcome to the clan
Old 22-06-2010, 09:05 AM   #8
mintyhit

Great shots man, nice processing!

Welcome to the forum and be sure to come on the next London tunnel run!
Old 22-06-2010, 10:01 AM   #9
Gunsoku

Tunnel run? Sounds intriguing! Tell me more, pretty plx?

Are there any regular meets organised around London anyway? I was thinking of heading up to the Ace on Friday, since there seems to be some Ducati-esque event happening.
Old 22-06-2010, 10:13 AM   #10
mintyhit

The tunnel run is pretty funny.

Imagine the apocalyptic sound of a score of monsters with exhaust systems of questionable legality cruising through all of the major tunnels in central London.

I am not sure when the next one is, hopefully soon!

There are plenty of meets and ride outs around London but I keep missing them unfortunately. I am sure someone will be along to fill you in!

James

Last edited by mintyhit; 22-06-2010 at 12:23 PM..
Old 22-06-2010, 12:10 PM   #11
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintyhit View Post
The tunnel run is pretty funny.

Imagine the sound of apocalyptic sound of a score of monsters with exhaust systems of questionable legality cruising through all of the major tunnels in central London.

I am not sure when the next one is, hopefully soon!

There are plenty of meets and ride outs around London but I keep missing them unfortunately. I am sure someone will be along to fill you in!

James

You tunnel addicts need to get yourselfs to Europe

We rode an 90kph section of A road in the alps, which was in and out of tunnels for 30 miles. Also used the Frejus tunnel to cross the Alps and that was 8 miles long... Bwaaahhh.. Bwaaah... Bwaaahh!
Old 22-06-2010, 10:36 AM   #12
Diego

welcome welcome. nice bike!
Old 22-06-2010, 04:03 PM   #13
Funkatronic
another year another bike

Bike: S2r 1000
welcome and glad your enjoying that lovely bike,

reminds me of mine although mines been looking a little more abused of late

Nice list of things to do, no much to add there apart from maybe:
Upgrade Rear Shock (and thats probabbly excessive tbh)

Im looking for some engine paint too, LittleJimmy reccomended R&S paints will let yu know how i get on

there is a regular meet 1st sat of every month at fatboys diner in docklands (although the last couple have been missed by many due to various other events) and many of us take rides out into the shires whenever we can (although this year has been fairly quiet on that front or maybe ive not been noticing). Keep an eye out for posts.
The Tunnel runs are totally gratuitous but very entertaining,

theres also a track day a bunch of us are doing at cadwell park on Aug 9th which will be great

hope to see you around

ali
Funkatronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2010, 01:04 PM   #14
Gunsoku

Ah, tunnel run. It all makes sense now... *evil grin*

Yeah, def up for that - I'll keep my eyes on the Event threads.
& cheers Gary, Diego for the compliment!
Old 22-06-2010, 01:39 PM   #15
Pomp1

Nice bike, welcome to the club!