UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Electrics » Ignition goes clickty-click but no Brum Brum... Help!

Old 31-10-2008, 09:52 AM   #1
Bueller77

Ignition goes clickty-click but no Brum Brum... Help!

Hi all,

I'm new to bikes and so have little to no technical know how. I've trawled through the forum but am not sure what may or may not apply to me so thought I'd post asking for help anyway (in other words sorry in advance if this has been answered many times before).

Bike has been running fine and was last out on it this Monday. Gave it a clean Monday night, AC50 spray down and then haven't been back to her until today.

Key in ignition, turn, dash lights all on fine, sound of whirling pumps fine, hit ignition switch... Clickty clickty click and a flashing fuel pump light as it clicks. Bike is fully juiced up as I filled her up on way home Monday.

Checked lights and they came on full beans no problems.

I've had to leave her at home and come into work, had no time to call recovery or try anything else yet. Thought I'd get suggestions from the forum before getting even more upset as today was a perfect day for blat on the way home :-(

Help!

B
Old 31-10-2008, 10:49 AM   #2
yantheman
Bronze Member

Bike: M620sie
hi, it could be your battery. I had that last year when I first had my 620. The light all lit up but didn't have enough power to turn the starter motor but just click-click.

I took the battery out and charge it up overnight and the bike started in the first click of the starter. Left it for a day of two and the same thing happened again.. it turned out the battery was knackered. Bought a new battery and it was all fine.
yantheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2008, 11:12 AM   #3
Bueller77

My problem is that where I keep my bike there is no mains socket so I can't really keep her on a trickle charge when I'm not using her. I'd take the battery out, but I have an alarm and am not sure how easy it is to keep taking a battery out to charge and then putting it back in again. And also how that might mess about with Alarms/Immobilisers etc.
Old 31-10-2008, 11:34 AM   #4
yantheman
Bronze Member

Bike: M620sie
i think it is your alarm that drained the battery. Its fine for me to take out the battery anytime with the internal immobiliser, not sure about the alarm though.... may be you need to check the alarm manual.

I don't have a charger connected to the bike either. Since I have had the new battery, the bike has been running and starting fine. I think your battery is just on the borderline and with the extra load of the alarm and your battery may now be knackered.

According to the receipt I have, the last battery I had was 3 years old before I changed it last November.
yantheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2008, 11:38 AM   #5
Bueller77

It would make sense to be honest. The battery is pretty old and when I bought the bike it had been run right down to nothing, so odds are with the cold weather and it's age, time is right to buy me a new one.

Cheers guys - will of course test this all out later first before jumping on getting a new battery.

B
Old 31-10-2008, 11:09 AM   #6
jerry
Old Git

Bike: Multiple Monsters
clickity click sound s like solenoid engaging but not enough juice in battery to turn over engine ...suggest test battery .
Old 31-10-2008, 02:44 PM   #7
rollo22

Bike: M1100evo
If the alarm is draining the battery you could invest i one of those jump boxes that is mains charged.Have a look at machine mart or halfords to give you an idea
Old 31-10-2008, 04:20 PM   #8
Bueller77

I have just bought one today (well ordered) so hopefully that would help me avoid this in the future (if it turns out to be battery).

M
Old 01-11-2008, 03:24 AM   #9
jerry
Old Git

Bike: Multiple Monsters
to take battery out put alarm into service mode ....then remove battery and charge on table it only take 5 minutes to remove and replace.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:16 AM   #10
Bueller77

That's great. Thanks.

I managed to bump start the bike last night and had a 30 min ride to put some juice in her. She then started again fine, so I think it is the battery. I'm going to take her out for a longer ride this morning to hopefully put even more beans in her... Not sure how long I'll need to ride to fill the battery up though?

B
Old 24-11-2008, 09:33 AM   #11
Bueller77

I'm going to get a solar powered trickle charger which should hopefully end this constant battle with alarm draining battery within a few days of not riding.

Anybody here ever used a solar powerd one before? I can't get access to mains so this is my best option. No I just need to find a bit of daylight!
Old 24-11-2008, 09:49 AM   #12
Funkatronic
another year another bike

Bike: S2r 1000
try and find one with a regulator/controller so that it does not overcharge your battery,
as overcharging will shorten the batteries life considerably

if you already have the panel, you can just buy the regulator/controller on its own
eg

this here

not used this personally but you get the idea

hope this helps

ali

Last edited by Funkatronic; 24-11-2008 at 09:50 AM.. Reason: bad spelling
Funkatronic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ignition