UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Tail-chop: A proper job

Old 09-03-2006, 07:27 PM   #1
JMo

Tail-chop: A proper job

Being the self-appointed 'queen of tail-chops' (due in no small part to my dexterity and attention to detail, ahem) I feel it's time to give a little back...

I say give, what I mean is sell to be honest... x

I am currently having some pukka tail chop conversion plates made up by a laser cutting company. This will allow anyone to perform a nice and tidy tail-chop to the current generation (ie. curved tea-tray models onwards) of Monster with the minimum of effort - utilising a dedicated bracket to mount the rear lamp and your choice of indicators as required, together with repositioning the existing plastic numberplate bracket. All you'll need to do is cut the two frame rails and fit the new bracket, and everything will be pre-drilled to line up etc.

I will include instructions how to modify your existing number plate holder to fit to the new bracket, and may even include all the hardware and frame bungs to offer a one-stop shop.

The bracket will be laser cut from aluminum, and come pre folded ready to fit - finished in bare alloy (for you polishing fiends), painted or powder coated (just waiting for quotes for PC) and it likely to come in at around £40. So if anyone fancies one of these, do let me know...

JennyMo

xxx
Old 09-03-2006, 08:34 PM   #2
singletrack

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
Great idea.

Is it possible to put the tail back on if you want to sell the bike in the future?
Old 09-03-2006, 08:53 PM   #3
Scotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by singletrack
Is it possible to put the tail back on if you want to sell the bike in the future?
well id you do get pressured into making the tail chop 'mistake' dont frett all is not lost, you can reattach one just make sure when you do it its a clean cut

i have recently re-attaced my tail ready for the filth of winter rideing since its nearly summer now, only ive kinda bodged it with wrong size tube and some shims

id post pic's but i cant be arsed
Old 09-03-2006, 09:02 PM   #4
JMo

Dear Scotty, with the greatest of respect - please keep any pictures of your bodged up tail reattachment away from this thread... x

Singletrack - yes, it is certainly possible to have the original piece of frame welded back on (a 5 minute job), but why would you want to? - the point of doing the chop this way is so it looks like a factory conversion - not a DIY lash-up...

I'll have mine fitted up in a couple of weeks so you can see for yourself... and despite his feeble attempt to thwart my commercial endeavors, I am more than happy to suggest Scotty's trio of lights would look rather dandy on one too x

xxx
Old 09-03-2006, 09:05 PM   #5
Danny
is bikeless

Bike: Other Ducati
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo
Dear Scotty, with the greatest of respect - please keep any pictures of your bodged up tail reattachment away from this thread... x

Singletrack - yes, it is certainly possible to have the original piece of frame welded back on (a 5 minute job), but why would you want to? - the point of doing the chop this way is so it looks like a factory conversion - not a DIY lash-up...

I'll have mine fitted up in a couple of weeks so you can see for yourself... and despite his feeble attempt to thwart my commercial endeavors, I am more than happy to suggest Scotty's trio of lights would look rather dandy on one too x

xxx
...sounds like i'm going to have to have the snip then, to go with the lights.
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 09:11 PM   #6
Scotty

if only i had the 'skill' of told yerbs to post a witty reply , nee mind i shall give it a g anyways

well from one entrapenure (?) to another im clearly the bad cop of good/evil cop duo i mearly give you the chance to shoot the doubters down in flames

umm its all spin t'old lasss
Old 09-03-2006, 09:12 PM   #7
Scotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny
...sounds like i'm going to have to have the snip then, to go with the lights.
id bet the two brackets are incompatable (it would be sods law)
Old 09-03-2006, 09:14 PM   #8
dustybin

£40 sounds good if it is just a case of cut and stick! I'd be interested in some more details and seeing the finished version when it's ready. Even better would be a £49.95 version where you get a mini Jmo as well to do it all for you!
Old 09-03-2006, 09:16 PM   #9
JMo

Bad cop...

Do your lamps bolt on using the original lamp assembly mounting holes? - if so, all will be fine x

xxx
Old 09-03-2006, 09:35 PM   #10
Scotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo
Do your lamps bolt on using the original lamp assembly mounting holes? - if so, all will be fine x

xxx
no they dont, cunning eh
Old 09-03-2006, 09:45 PM   #11
JMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty
no they dont, cunning eh
Erm, well - I would have thought it made more sense to offer something that can directly replace the existing to be honest...

...but then I can see from your rather thinly vailed attempt at advertising on MY THREAD with you new avatar (ahem) that your lamp bracket seems to bolt on using the undertray bolts - a neat solution, but what about indicators, and the numberplate bracket? and also the original teatray should anyone be fool enough to wish to retain it? Do you have to cut the mounting holes off the teatray to fit it?

xxx
Old 09-03-2006, 09:46 PM   #12
Danny
is bikeless

JMo, its sounds like you need to perform (experimental) surgery on my bike to make sure it all fits for your prospective punters...................
Old 09-03-2006, 09:50 PM   #13
JMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny
JMo, its sounds like you need to perform (experimental) surgery on my bike to make sure it all fits for your prospective punters...................
Hee hee - oh I'm sure it will fit the bikes ok, and I'm sure Scotty will decide to redesign his lamps so they fit a standard (or chopped) bike x

xxx
Old 09-03-2006, 09:50 PM   #14
Scotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo
Erm, well - I would have thought it made more sense to offer something that can directly replace the existing to be honest...

...but then I can see from your rather thinly vailed attempt at advertising on MY THREAD with you new avatar (ahem) that your lamp bracket seems to bolt on using the undertray bolts - a neat solution, but what about indicators, and the numberplate bracket? and also the original teatray should anyone be fool enough to wish to retain it? Do you have to cut the mounting holes off the teatray to fit it?

xxx
no you dont have to cut anything, heaven forbid, who would actually want to cut up their bike
Old 09-03-2006, 09:55 PM   #15
Danny
is bikeless

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo
Hee hee - oh I'm sure it will fit the bikes ok, and I'm sure Scotty will decide to redesign his lamps so they fit a standard (or chopped) bike x

xxx
I hope he gives me a 're-call notice' for any design changes!!