UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Cans, Tyres, Brakes, etc. » Monster M750 ride height setting.

Old 30-03-2019, 08:23 AM   #1
larsen

Bike: M750
Monster M750 ride height setting.

Having recently completed my rebuild it's time for a bit of fine tuning. Can anyone tell me what the factory setting should be for the suspension hoop rose joints please? I fitted them fully in , as that's how they came, and that's how the factory brochure shows. Even though I'm only a 30 ins inside leg I can get both feet flat on the floor and feel a little cramped up when riding. Because these are a bit of a pain to adjust I was hoping for a one shot adjustment with your assistance. Thanks in advance. P.S. I see from threads that longer rose joints were available.
Old 30-03-2019, 02:39 PM   #2
larsen

Apology

Sorry, that should really be two questions, hoop rose joint settings and compact nature of machine. oops.
Old 30-03-2019, 03:35 PM   #3
utopia
No turn left unstoned

According to the (genuine Ducati) workshop manual for my yr2001 M750, the effective length of the hoop (ie the distance between the two pivot axes) should be 238mm.
I'm pretty sure that all year models will use the same setting, though I can't confirm that 100%.

Many folk extend this length to suit their own preferences ... 20mm or more is not uncommon.
This will sharpen the steering but will make the bike unstable if done to excess.
The effect on the steering will also be affected by the height of the forks in the yokes and the two settings can be seen as inter-related.
My own 750 is raised at the rear AND at the front, but the rear is raised slightly more.
This gives a resultant attitude of the bike which is slightly more "nose-down" than std settings, while making the overall height of the bike slightly taller.

Obviously, it is important that both rose joints are set in the same position (ie the pivot axes are parallel).
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2019, 09:27 PM   #4
larsen

Sorted

Thanks for the information, It looks like fully screwed in rose joints is as near as makes no difference to the quoted 238mm. I'm happy now that I've a factory standard setup. I can adjust things as I tune in to the bike.
Old 30-03-2019, 10:10 PM   #5
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
The factory setup is ok but still way too rear biased IMHO. If you want to exploit the 888 derived sportsbike handling that is obtainable from this bike chassis you will need the Luigi risers and then maybe a fork upgrade/revalve.

Raising the rear will transform the handling but will also expose the weakness of the standard forks.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote