UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Poor start from cold

Old 26-06-2014, 06:00 PM   #1
TonyG

Poor start from cold

Hi,

I have an m1100s that takes several minutes to start from cold. It turns over healthily enough, but just won't catch. So far, it's always strted eventually, but I'm a bit worried. It has a 3 month warranty, but as it does always start in the end, not sure what to do ?

I've seen various threads on non starting, but they all seem to be where the battery is at fault in some way, which doesn't seem to be the issue on mine.

Grateful for any ideas.

Thanks
Old 26-06-2014, 06:10 PM   #2
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
Mine has only done that twice in 5 years. Once when it hadn't been used all winter but it did start in the end and last year just behaved badly on starting but again did and not a problem since. Mines just had full service so now I expect it to behave properly.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2014, 10:05 PM   #3
SunEye

Bike: Other Ducati
I had starting probems caused by the valve clearances being out. How many miles have you done since they were checked?
SunEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2014, 04:59 AM   #4
bluestoesonnose

Fit a new set of plugs, most bad running poor starting can be attributed to plug condition. If it isn't that go for an air filter and fuel filter. After that get your wallet out!

Sounds like the battery is good if it'll spin over for several minutes....
Old 27-06-2014, 08:14 AM   #5
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Do they have a fast idle switch or lever like the older bikes have? If so it could be not adjusted correctly?

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2014, 11:43 AM   #6
TonyG

Thanks guys,

It's only done 2000 miles, so valves have never been checked, but would hope clearances are ok at that mileage. It's also had 3 services.

Could be plugs I suppose. When warm, or if left for a couple of hours it is fine. It's only after being parked up at work or overnight, and as I say it has always sterted in the end so far !
Old 27-06-2014, 12:10 PM   #7
Wildfire

How old is the fuel?

Get the plugs out, give them a bit of clean and see. Sounds like they are not sparking strongly enough, to start with??

As above my old Monster had major issues starting, if you didn't catch it 1st go then shut off the choke, you were done for 2 hours. Turned out to be valve clearances.
Old 27-06-2014, 03:26 PM   #8
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
If you got the bike with 3 months warranty, get it reported and looked into before it expires. Clearly something's amiss.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote