UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » New M750 owner & rebuild project

Old 22-08-2013, 09:12 AM   #1
day841

Smile New M750 owner & rebuild project

Hey guys,

My name is Julian and I have recently purchased a 2002 Monster 750!

I have been searching and searching for one for a while and when this beauty came up on autotrader I couldn't resist!

It is in perfect condition, apart from a few scratches and dents on the tank - 13,500 miles, full service history up to 2012 and kept as standard apart from new bar ends, adjustable levers, grips and a fly screen.

I've been doing a lot of research on this forum and others to get good ideas and tips!

This is how I bought it:

As I only bought it on the 17th August I haven't had much time to do anything to it, however I plan on getting it fully serviced and checked over as soon as possible as I want to make sure that everything mechanical is as it should be before I start fiddling with it.

What I have done so far:

Removed fly screen
Cleaned
Sprayed belt covers gloss black
New bar ends (until I get bar end mirrors)
Removed seat cowl

The plan and project is to:

Remove micky mouse mirrors and install bar end mirrors
Tail Tidy
K&N Air Filter
K&N Oil Filter
Complete respray to black
Leovince/Arrow slip-on exhausts
Reflective White Wheel Striping
Spray frame black
LED Tail Light
Upgrade headlight (possibly change headlight completely)
LED indicators
New chain
Possible new swingarm
Clutch pressure plate and cover (realise I need a dry clutch for this now! )
New yokes
Either new front forks or spray red/gold (undecided, want to match clutch cover and pressure plate)

There are probably a million more things but these are what I have just had in my head everytime I look at the bike.

I'll probably have a lot of spare parts as I go along from my bike so if anyone needs anything please let me know!

Last edited by day841; 15-09-2013 at 02:32 PM..
Old 22-08-2013, 09:29 AM   #2
day841

Does anyone have any tips on how to clean the radiator area?
Old 22-08-2013, 09:35 AM   #3
day841

Before and after spraying the belt covers:

Old 22-08-2013, 12:29 PM   #4
Wildfire

I have some twin style headlights in chrome it that's any good? Bought them, tried fitting them to my old Monster, didn't then put them in a book and decided I like the single one. I think I may have to do my belt covers. Yours do look nice.
Old 22-08-2013, 12:40 PM   #5
Dirty

Hi and welcome to the addiction

I'm thinking about spraying my belt covers but am probably gonna go the route of just ditching them altogether.
Old 22-08-2013, 01:00 PM   #6
Pomp1

Hi and welcome..quite an impressive list there altought you may find difficult changing the pressure plate & cover on a wet clutch
Radiator can be cleaned with brake cleaner and ideally resprayed but be carefull not to clog the fins..
Old 22-08-2013, 01:08 PM   #7
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Welcome to the delights of 750 ownership.
That one looks decent, and at a pretty good price too.
It sounds like its unmodded condition isn't going to last much longer.
I have to disappoint you on the proposed clutch mods though ...that one (and all 750s) has a wet clutch.
You're well rid of the screen. Mine came with the same one, and the way they fit is rubbish. I modded mine to fit rigidly to the top yoke on homemade brackets, but it was a bit fiddly.
Btw. us Brits call don't call them triples. Its yokes (without an L) if you don't want to sound like a Harley owner.
Regarding the belt covers ...if the paint should flake you could try dyeing them. A chap on the forum did this a while back and the results looked great.
Your first job should be to change the belts unless you're certain that they've recently been done. This is even more important if the bike has been standing for a while.
You can't go wrong with a black motorcycle, but the frame looks ok to me and I'd be inclined to save the bother of a big stripdown and leave it as it is.
You might be well advised to be wary of using the tank prop. The rubber end perishes and can easily break. I use a length of wood supported on the airbox.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2013, 01:09 PM   #8
Dirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomp1 View Post
Hi and welcome..quite an impressive list there altought you may find difficult changing the pressure plate & cover on a wet clutch
But not impossible http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=40037
Old 22-08-2013, 01:56 PM   #9
day841

Ahh how annoying about the clutch - i thought it would be an easy mod!

Thats one thing I was wary of when giving it a good clean as to not mess up the radiator fins, ideally I want the whole engine area black including the radiator and other trickier parts however I know this won't be easy!

The belts have been changed recently and I am just getting it booked in for a comprehensive and thorough service!

The work involved in doing the frame is a bit scary but I may see what it looks like once the tank etc have been done black - ideally I want to set up a colour scheme on the bike, maybe black & gold, or black & red? Have the main areas done black with some areas red/gold such as the frame, forks, clutch cover, wheels etc what do you guys think?
Old 22-08-2013, 02:56 PM   #10
Mark Shelley

I wouldn`t paint the forks. You would be making an ongoing maintenance issue and wouldn`t the finish get damaged when you re-inserted them into the yokes due to the thickness of the paint? If you have to colour them get them anodised.
Old 22-08-2013, 03:12 PM   #11
day841

Yeh that's true, another option which i have been contemplating is to buy completely new forks and yokes together!
Old 22-08-2013, 03:43 PM   #12
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Sounds like you'd be well advised to pause for thought and ride it for a while before getting too carried away with modding enthusiasm.
Again, for what its worth, I wouldn't bother touching the forks. But I agree that anodising would be the way to go if you did. You'd probably be better off upgrading them anyway.
I've never really seen the need to change the yokes, unless its for cosmetic reasons, and even then I wouldn't bother personally.
The std footpegs are uncomfortably low and easy to touch down though. Rearsets are a vast improvement in my opinion. Forum member Pomp1 sells some decent looking ones through Desmoperformance, which aren't silly money and have pillion extensions as an option.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2013, 05:47 PM   #13
day841

The only issue is I purchased it with an aim to use it as a project not to just use it as a run around but to show it off.

I shall look into the rearsets, I have seen a few good looking ones but hope they give a good position & also fit into my planned colour scheme!
Old 22-08-2013, 05:53 PM   #14
day841

Anyone have any suggestions of the best tail tidy? Any pics?
Old 22-08-2013, 08:49 PM   #15
Dirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by day841 View Post
Anyone have any suggestions of the best tail tidy? Any pics?
Build your own

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...291#post463291