UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Hi from new M1100 owner in Sussex

Old 16-11-2010, 05:15 PM   #1
SunEye

Bike: Other Ducati
Hi from new M1100 owner in Sussex

On Saturday I will be picking up a new 09 model Monster 1100 fitted with carbon Termignoni exhaust kit, touring seat and Logomania Ducati Corse kit. It will be my first Ducati.

For the last 8 years I've been riding a Kawasaki ZRX1200R, which has been great, but it has done 36,000 miles and if I wanted it to last another 5 years or more I'd need to do a bit of work to it. So the best option was obviously to spend more money than I have on a new bike ;-)

A short history of my biking experience. Decided to get a bike after writing off a Caterham 7 15 minutes after buying it. The accident did involve a serious knock to the head ;-) Passed my test in 1999, bought a Kawasaki ER5. Traded up to a Kawasaki ZRX1100 which I wrote off in 2000. Got another identical ZRX1100 which I wrote off in 2001. Got a new ZRX1200 in 2002 which I've managed not to crash.

Why get a Monster? I wanted something with performance similar to the ZRX, but lighter and with better handling. Although I do tour on my bike I don't mind a short tank range (the ZRX has managed as little as 29 mpg (122 miles to dry)) and I don't care about wind protection and luggage. What really hooked me was a 40 mile hour-long test ride on an M1100. I had ridden an M796 the week before and liked it, but the M1100 was exactly right.

Can't wait until Saturday ...... although I'm sure my bank account and credit card aren't looking forward to it.

Pete.
SunEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2010, 05:28 PM   #2
Char
We're all mad here

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
hello & welcome - its a slippery slope
Old 16-11-2010, 06:47 PM   #3
chris yeatman
I still have the s4r!

Bike: S4r
hi and welcome to the club.
let the bling begin
Old 16-11-2010, 07:19 PM   #4
Rally
Taking life easy........

Welcome to the forum Pete. Lets hope you don't write this one off like the others! Good luck with the weather for Saturday as well. I'll look forward to meeting you on a future meet.
Rally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2010, 07:42 PM   #5
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
Hi there. Slippery slope it can be but well worth the ride. I take it you get from CMW like I did. Have fun and enjoy and try not to keep up with my custom monnie.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2010, 08:03 PM   #6
SunEye

Bike: Other Ducati
Yes got mine from CMW. I got it for £1680 less than list price, so I can't complain. They're my local dealer. I'm happy to buy from them despite them dropping my ZRX when it was in for an MOT a couple of years ago.

I do have to thank Pete at Pro Twins for letting me test ride a M796 and Bryan at Moto Rapido for organising a test ride on a M1100. Without them I may not be here now. I also have to thank Steve at Ducati Aylesbury for giving me a price for the bike that I got Richard at CMW to match.
SunEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2010, 08:16 PM   #7
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunEye View Post
Yes got mine from CMW. I got it for £1680 less than list price, so I can't complain. They're my local dealer. I'm happy to buy from them despite them dropping my ZRX when it was in for an MOT a couple of years ago.

I do have to thank Pete at Pro Twins for letting me test ride a M796 and Bryan at Moto Rapido for organising a test ride on a M1100. Without them I may not be here now. I also have to thank Steve at Ducati Aylesbury for giving me a price for the bike that I got Richard at CMW to match.
Same here. Mind you it was £1350 cheaper but that was an S model. I went and tested the demo 'S' two up around Goodwood and was brill. I know you will have fun. I went down from a s4 to it but pulls like a train and your engines exactly the same as the S. Just take it easy over the winter months and theres plenty going on around your neck of the woods in the spring/summer.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2010, 09:14 PM   #8
barbican

Hello and welcome - hope you have great weather for the pickup day

I don't live far from Chi so I'll look out for you on the road
Old 16-11-2010, 09:57 PM   #9
chris yeatman
I still have the s4r!

Bike: S4r
As rally said be good to meet u on a meet somewen.
Hampshire have many meets over the summer and brekkie meets during the winter, so it would be great for u to join us, i also tag along to these meets as does barbican from nearby to u.
Old 16-11-2010, 10:01 PM   #10
Liz
Co-ordination

Bike: S2r
Hope all goes well with your new bike. 'Bling'?, don't listen to them, enjoy the bike as it is!

Welcome to 'Hants' UKMOC (says a Wiltshire honorary member!)

Last edited by Liz; 16-11-2010 at 10:05 PM..
Liz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2010, 08:17 AM   #11
buzzbomb
Gold Member

Bike: M1100s
Liz don't be putting the poor boy off you know bling is the thing...
buzzbomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2010, 09:34 AM   #12
J.P
No more Monster...

Welcome to the club and a good choice of bike. You've got plenty biking experience by the sound of it, though don't go pranging the new one anytime soon.

The club's very active and you can be as active a member as you want.

-------------------------------

My Mum says, there's no such thing as Monsters.
J.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2010, 10:08 AM   #13
alan c
alan (blockhead) c

Bike: M1100
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P View Post
Welcome to the club and a good choice of bike. You've got plenty biking experience by the sound of it, though don't go pranging the new one anytime soon.

The club's very active and you can be as active a member as you want.
J.P - Active member whats that

Hi Pete , welcome to the club.
Hope we will catch up when weather improves, keep an eye out for things going on in kent and Hampshire as we arange rideouts and meets etc.

Cheers

alan c
alan c is offline   Reply With Quote