UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » new biker

Old 23-04-2014, 07:11 AM   #1
HereticBalloon

new biker

Hello All,

I have had my Ducati Monster 796 (2011) for a week now, it is awesome!

I am a new biker and have little knowledge of bikes, so my first question is: with a bike like the 796 what is the best way of cleaning them, sounds simple but it is already overly dirty due to the weather and hopefully you guys have some short cuts. Second, what are your recommendations for riding in the wet? In the way of can it effect the electrics etc?

Looking forward to hereing from you,

Cheers,
Ollie
Old 23-04-2014, 08:49 AM   #2
smiffyraf1
Silver Member

Bike: M1000ie
i use muc off you just pre wash squirt on leave for a bit then wash off removes all the road cack of mine. just be careful not to leave anything on too long as can stain the paint. never had a problem with the monster in the wet. my ss used to lose the forward cylinder until i waterproofed it.
smiffyraf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2014, 08:53 AM   #3
LouSCannon
These must fit a Monster?

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Welcome... fan of muc off here too, although I've seen some say it's a bit harsh I've had good results.

Modern Monsters don't seem to have to worry about the wet as much as the very old models, that said the new shapes are reaching the stage where people have had them for a few years and possible ageing gremlins may start to show... but I doubt it... best recommendation for riding in the wet is make sure there's a good brew waiting for you at your destination!
Old 23-04-2014, 09:27 AM   #4
don_matese

Welcome! My monster hated riding in the wet ( 1995 model though) until I changed the original HT leads (that were arcing to the head) and all was better then! good luck and have fun!

Oh and keep the pressure washer away from the bike, use a hose and sponge/cloth instead!
Old 23-04-2014, 09:45 AM   #5
J.P
No more Monster...

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
Welcome to the club Ollie.
Worth noting that after a good clean with whatever product you use it's worth looking at spraying with something to help protect the engine against the weather. Something as simple as WD40 around all the cylinders and under the engine, or sprays like F365, AC50, they help keep the grime from attacking the paint on the engine.

-------------------------------

My Mum says, there's no such thing as Monsters.
J.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2014, 10:45 AM   #6
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by don_matese View Post
Welcome! My monster hated riding in the wet ( 1995 model though) until I changed the original HT leads (that were arcing to the head) and all was better then! good luck and have fun!

Oh and keep the pressure washer away from the bike, use a hose and sponge/cloth instead!
Thats good advice about the pressure washer, the previous owner of my old ss had used one and had got water in all the electrical conectors etc, caused a lot of niggly faults/breakdowns.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2014, 11:26 AM   #7
jdp683

Welcome
Like the rest of the guys are saying i use muc off and spray the engine casings/heads with WD40 once it's clean!!
Old 23-04-2014, 02:02 PM   #8
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Welcome

I just don't ride the Monster in the wet, saves a lot of messing about and cleaning

Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2014, 05:38 PM   #9
HereticBalloon

Hi guys,

Thanks for the advice!

I have just knocked of the RH indicator on my bike after getting off, evidently a rookie error but does anyone now of a quick fix and a recommendation for the future, ie a suitable mod or anything of the sort? has anyone had this themselves?

Cheers,
Ollie
Old 23-04-2014, 05:42 PM   #10
smiffyraf1
Silver Member

the whole unit or just the lens?
Old 23-04-2014, 05:49 PM   #11
HereticBalloon

The whole unit, at the part where it attaches to the tail tidy. Will that mean I have to replace all of the tail tidy as well?
Old 23-04-2014, 06:14 PM   #12
smiffyraf1
Silver Member

hmmm not sure can't have been on very well if it just 'knocked off' can you get a picture?
Old 23-04-2014, 06:15 PM   #13
smiffyraf1
Silver Member

they are normal just a screw thread with wires down the middle and a nut to hold it on to whatever its fixed too
Old 23-04-2014, 06:15 PM   #14
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
I am just changing mine for rizomas as 1/3 shorter in length and more solid. Watch out for front ones catching as can break the headlight casting. Dont get too much water near the wheel bearings either. Mines been good electrically over nearly 5 years and same battery never charged up manually.
Enjoy the ukmoc and the bike
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2014, 06:45 PM   #15
Funkatronic
another year another bike

Bike: S2r 1000
for quick tart up of , the vulcanet wipes are excellent

for more serious cleaning i prefer sdoc100 as a cleaner for most of the bike. its very effective degreaser and and more gentle than muc off . its also supposed to leave an anti corrosive film when it drives
i use Paraffin on the chain and sprox and other parts then get hit by chain lunge

if you ride in all wethers then ACF50 is great stuff as protecting the bike from moisture, but it leaves a sticky film over everything so does make the bike look filthy (albeit nice and clean and uncorroded when you wash it off)

i have found muc off can mottle/dull some plastics and also carbon parts
Funkatronic is offline   Reply With Quote