UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Service/Dealer & Insurance » Advice needed....any one know good insurance solicitor?

Old 04-06-2014, 05:37 AM   #1
Multi rider

Advice needed....any one know good insurance solicitor?

Here my tale of woe? Last month my beloved multistrada 1200 was stolen, whilst temporarily parked on the pavement outside my house.....I'm sure you all know what's coming now???

Yesterday a gentleman (loosely spoken) called from Axa insurance saying they won't pay out as it's a garaged policy and the policy document clearly states that the bike must be kept in the garage whilst at this address!

I did try and argue that this refers to overnight storage and does not expressly refer to where the bike may or may not be parked!

Suffice it to say that we have a fight on our hands (was expecting it I must say)

Axa want me to go through their channels/ customer relations department if I am not in agreement....this will/may take up to 8 weeks, in the meantime the bikes are coming down in value....

I am thinking of investing in a solicitor as the insured value is 10k which is big bucks for me!

What would you do?
Old 04-06-2014, 06:45 AM   #2
jonzi
Mary Mary Quite Contrary

Bike: M796
I have just won a crash court case with http://www.ridersupport.co.uk/

Tell em Dan Jones sent you.

Good luck.
jonzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:26 AM   #3
Martin Duke

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multi rider View Post
Here my tale of woe? Last month my beloved multistrada 1200 was stolen, whilst temporarily parked on the pavement outside my house.....I'm sure you all know what's coming now???

Yesterday a gentleman (loosely spoken) called from Axa insurance saying they won't pay out as it's a garaged policy and the policy document clearly states that the bike must be kept in the garage whilst at this address!

I did try and argue that this refers to overnight storage and does not expressly refer to where the bike may or may not be parked!

Suffice it to say that we have a fight on our hands (was expecting it I must say)

Axa want me to go through their channels/ customer relations department if I am not in agreement....this will/may take up to 8 weeks, in the meantime the bikes are coming down in value....

I am thinking of investing in a solicitor as the insured value is 10k which is big bucks for me!

What would you do?
Speak to White Dalton - you will get good advice!

www.whitedalton.co.uk 0800 783 6191
Martin Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:35 AM   #4
Funkatronic
another year another bike

Bike: S2r 1000
+1 for rider support
Funkatronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:41 AM   #5
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multi rider View Post
What does the policy say? I've got a similar clause re. garaging that increases the excess should my bike be stolen within 400m (I think) of the garage but they will still pay out just less an increased excess.

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:13 AM   #6
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Mine too has a garage clause but only at night (after 10pm I thnk). I think they are being a bit unreasonable as in affect they are saying unless its in the garage and gets nicked there is no theft cover at all.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:34 AM   #7
scrapps

Just renewed my insurance and mine states They have to be Garaged between 10pm and 6am while not in use.
I did ask them to make terms clear as i do some times leave bikes on the drive at home while working on the others or using the garage for other stuff.
As said the policy is not much use if not covered for this sort of thing.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:43 AM   #8
turbohobbit

I can't comment on Rider Support, but a close friend of mine is currently using WD on a claim and they have been bloody brilliant.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:46 AM   #9
turbohobbit

Associated to this (and apologies in advance is this is seen as a thread highjack, I hope it's an associated issue) - what if you have stated that your bike is secured with locks a, b, and c, and the bike is stolen with only a attached (or, even, none at all). Is it reasonable to assume that the insurance company WILL NOT pay out?
Old 04-06-2014, 02:09 PM   #10
Wildfire

Another vote for White Dalton. They're handling my brother's case and are really helpful.
Old 04-06-2014, 06:39 PM   #11
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbohobbit View Post
Associated to this (and apologies in advance is this is seen as a thread highjack, I hope it's an associated issue) - what if you have stated that your bike is secured with locks a, b, and c, and the bike is stolen with only a attached (or, even, none at all). Is it reasonable to assume that the insurance company WILL NOT pay out?
That'll be your fault for renaging on your contractual obligations, you signed up to using a, b and c and didn't so they'll try to wriggle out of it because you have been very very naughty

Still kinda hard to tell what it was locked and chained with once it's gone
Old 06-06-2014, 09:05 PM   #12
DaffyDuc

Bike: M800ie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickj View Post
That'll be your fault for renaging on your contractual obligations, you signed up to using a, b and c and didn't so they'll try to wriggle out of it because you have been very very naughty

Still kinda hard to tell what it was locked and chained with once it's gone
When I renew my insurance I always mark no when they ask if I have immobiliser, chains etc. It takes any argument about usage out of the equation and actually makes very little difference to the price, last time I checked it was about £15. Mine say must be garaged overnight if at home also. If it disappears off the drive during the day and the keys were in it then it's not covered.
Multi rider - Hope they see sense and you get what you expect.

Last edited by DaffyDuc; 06-06-2014 at 09:09 PM..
DaffyDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 06:28 PM   #13
turbohobbit

Interesting stuff....

I've found this in my policy:
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Bennetts Policy

Exceptions to Section 1 of Your Policy
Your policy does not cover the following:
14 loss of/or damage to your motorcycle or its contents by theft or attempted theft or an unauthorised person taking it and driving it if it has been left unlocked; it has been left with the keys in it; or reasonable precautions have not been taken to protect it.

Endorsements applicable: Immobilisation Warranty
Under section 1 - Loss or Damage to your motorcycle, we will not pay any claim for theft or attempted theft of your motorcycle unless at the time of loss, your motorcycle is secured, as a minimum security measure, by a disc lock, D-Lock or armoured chain, when out of use, even when garaged.

I am interpreting this to mean that, provided the bike is secured by some mean whenever parked, it doesn't matter whether or not ALL the security devices are employed EVERY time I park.

Just to clarify why I'm banging on about this. I have declared a disc lock, an Abus Granite City X-Plus chain lock, and the build-in Duke immobiliser as my security. I always use the disc lock when I'm out and about, and I always use the Abus when I'm parked on the drive at home, but the Abus is just too ruddy heavy to cart around on my daily commute. I just want to make sure I'm still covered if I park away from home and use the disc lock (and of course the immobiliser) but not the Abus.

Last edited by turbohobbit; 07-06-2014 at 06:31 PM..
Old 07-06-2014, 06:41 PM   #14
Saint aka ML
Junior ah to be young

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbohobbit View Post
Interesting stuff....

I've found this in my policy:

I am interpreting this to mean that, provided the bike is secured by some mean whenever parked, it doesn't matter whether or not ALL the security devices are employed EVERY time I park.

Just to clarify why I'm banging on about this. I have declared a disc lock, an Abus Granite City X-Plus chain lock, and the build-in Duke immobiliser as my security. I always use the disc lock when I'm out and about, and I always use the Abus when I'm parked on the drive at home, but the Abus is just too ruddy heavy to cart around on my daily commute. I just want to make sure I'm still covered if I park away from home and use the disc lock (and of course the immobiliser) but not the Abus.
What happened to they took the bike and chain with it?

Even if it is recovered few days, few hours, later one can always say chain is now gone.
I make a point of having all me disc/chain lock keys always with me.

Obviously make sure if you do not use your disc lock you do not leave it on a bike or like me I have 2 bikes and 2x disc lock so can always say I used the other one as lost key to this one.....

"I am Lucazade"
Saint aka ML is offline   Reply With Quote