UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » M600 Finally sorted!!

Old 23-08-2021, 05:22 PM   #1
tridentperu

Bike: M600
M600 Finally sorted!!

Hi all,

Well it has taken me at least 6 months of fiddling about and frustration but I have finally, finally got my '99 M600 running as it should.

It was a non runner when I got it, so I sorted the wiring out and overhauled the fuel pump which wasn't pumping and got it going running. The carbs were clearly not right (I thought) as the bike ran fairly rich and one was overflowing all the time. So I took them off and gave them a refresh with new float and o ring kits from Allens - this stopped them flooding and the bike ran OK but was still rich. Float heights were spot on.

Various attempts and fiddling to no avail, it still ran rich and fouled plugs. Hotter plugs were better, but still not right.

Having got very good at taking the carbs on/off and not making much progress, I was beginning to think it might be electrical but went and sourced another set of carbs anyway, mainly for spares as they weren't in great shape - but they were cheap!

I knew my original carbs were ok but just couldn't quite figure out what was wrong - on the motorway, giving it plenty of throttle it was OK (just about) but it was low down/mid range that the farting and stuttering was at it's worst so I suspected worn needles/ jets. In the end I decided to swap out the needles and diaphrams from the 'new' carbs to see if there was any improvement.

When comparing parts the needles in the 'new' carbs were totally different! The old ones were pointed, the new ones almost parallel.

Swapped them over and set them in needle posn 3 - TRANSFORMED!!

Running just right, no plug fouling, no farting and missing. Still running the same set of plugs at the end of the week!

It turns out, after a lot of digging around, that the PO had fitted Dynojet needles with the std jets - no wonder it wouldn't run right!!

So - never underestimate what someone might have done previously, and what mismatched parts may be in there!

Hope this may help someone in the future. I am now running round on a bike that does what it should and is generally a pleasure to ride. I love it.

Jim
tridentperu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2021, 07:03 PM   #2
motomartin11

Bike: M750
Well done. Perserverance has paid off!
Having owned a succession of old bikes I totally understand.
My M750 has been one small problem after another-rear brake locking on ,neutral light switch wiring and other electrical issues ,fuel tank leaking to name but a few and yesterday I discovered a hole in one of the carbon end cans.
motomartin11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2021, 08:09 PM   #3
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
great news, this thread deserves a picture
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2021, 08:00 AM   #4
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
Very satisfying when you overcome a problem with the bike, particularly if it is caused by interference by a previous owner. Well done
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote