UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » 695 Lowering Kits

Old 29-05-2007, 04:05 PM   #1
Wilftop

Talking 695 Lowering Kits

Hi All,

I am buying my first 695 in a few weeks, but I need to have it lowered. I am only a diddy sized girl at 5"1. I am after some advise please.

I am having about an inch of padding taken out of the seat by the dealer, but they no longer do any lowering as there is a risk of them being sued if the owner comes off.

Does anybody know if there are lowering kits about for the 695, I want to drop the front and back and add a steering damper with out doing this !! I only need to take it down by another inch so my feet are not tip-toed.

And finally if anybody knows of a good trustworthy garage they could recomend I would be greatful. (trying to get as many recomendations as poss please). I live in Brighton.

Thanks in advance.
Old 29-05-2007, 04:52 PM   #2
Zimbo
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: Multiple Monsters
The front shouldn't be a problem, raise the forks in the yokes, may be limited by contact with the hanlebars though. If they need lowering further it's possible to take a little off the spacer tube internally.
Rear - you'll need to shorten the rear suspension tie rod, possibly by sawing a qaurter inch off it, shouldn't be hard.
I should start by dropping the front, then take it for a ride and see what it's like, it'll steer quicker (no bad thing!!) and may be enough.
Shouldn't need a steering damper, but if you do want one the side mount ones will fit irrespective of whether it's lowered / altered or not.
Zimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2007, 06:59 AM   #3
slob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbo View Post
The front shouldn't be a problem, raise the forks in the yokes, may be limited by contact with the hanlebars though. If they need lowering further it's possible to take a little off the spacer tube internally.
Rear - you'll need to shorten the rear suspension tie rod, possibly by sawing a qaurter inch off it, shouldn't be hard.
I should start by dropping the front, then take it for a ride and see what it's like, it'll steer quicker (no bad thing!!) and may be enough.
Shouldn't need a steering damper, but if you do want one the side mount ones will fit irrespective of whether it's lowered / altered or not.
I don't think the 695 has an adjustable tie-rod.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2007, 07:07 AM   #4
Rogerg

My Wife (SazzaG) is also an oompa loompa. Shes just had her seat scooped on her 620 and didn't need it lowered any further.

We're just over near Bury Hill, I'm sure if your ever over this way she wouldn't mind you popping in and and having a sit on it to see if you'd need one dropped any further.

I'm sure she'll be along in a moment with some advice.
Old 30-05-2007, 07:48 AM   #5
SazzaG

Did someone say my name?

Yes, feel free to come and sit on the lovely Dixxie. It's also a question of confidence - I can only get the balls of my feet down on both sides, but I feel totally steady on it. It just takes practice (and off-roading on a very tall bike helped!).

Good luck!
Old 30-05-2007, 02:08 PM   #6
CK & AK
flob-a-lob-a-lob

Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post

It doesnt.

One word of warning - please be careful if lowering the bike at the fornt & not doing the same at the rear.
This can make it turn in much more quickly as the geometry has been altered.
A little at a time is best.
Prob best try Sazza's seat for starters

C
CK & AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2007, 05:23 PM   #7
Zimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post

No it doesn't , that doesn't mean it can't be "adjusted" though - see comment about sawing a bit off!
Old 30-05-2007, 05:48 PM   #8
SimonH

Wait for it to sag!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilftop View Post
Hi All,

I am buying my first 695 in a few weeks, but I need to have it lowered. I am only a diddy sized girl at 5"1. I am after some advise please.

I am having about an inch of padding taken out of the seat by the dealer, but they no longer do any lowering as there is a risk of them being sued if the owner comes off.
And finally if anybody knows of a good trustworthy garage they could recomend I would be greatful. (trying to get as many recomendations as poss please). I live in Brighton.

Thanks in advance.
My other half Philippa bought a 1000ie a year or so back. She is 5'1". We moved the forks up through the yokes by about 1" and slackened off the rear supension a touch to lower it.

Now she's done a few thousand miles the suspension is starting to sag - as they all do - so this weekend we are going to readjust it - back up!

I remember one thing Phil found was that the Ducati Performance gel seat was an improvement, being lower and more comfortable.

Simon
Old 30-05-2007, 06:07 PM   #9
slob

?
Attached Images
File Type: gif 620rear.GIF (26.0 KB, 89 views)
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2007, 06:48 PM   #10
Zimbo

Ah I see what you mean Rob, it doesn't really lend itself to sawing a bit off, unless a bit is removed from the middle and re-welded! Assumed it was a rod with threaded ends.
Old 30-05-2007, 10:19 PM   #11
Wilftop

Thanks everybody, I appreciate your advise.

I'm more than happy just being able to put the balls of my tiny feet on the floor, so I'll try just having the seat re-shaped to begin with and look into the gel seat.

Your all stars!
Old 31-05-2007, 07:17 AM   #12
singletrack

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilftop View Post
Thanks everybody, I appreciate your advise.

I'm more than happy just being able to put the balls of my tiny feet on the floor, so I'll try just having the seat re-shaped to begin with and look into the gel seat.

Your all stars!
Have you tried Daytona Ladystar Boots? They can give you an extra bit of height as they have a built up insole.
Old 31-05-2007, 06:32 PM   #13
Wilftop

No haven't tried them, I've got some SIDI boots which help give me an extra bit of height, that I love too.

I was looking at my current wheel's seat hight (sorry it's a scooter, but at least I'm upgrading to a better set of wheels! )

and it at 770, I'm happy on that, so when I think about it once the seat has been shaved down a bit I think I'll be quite happy.

I can't wait to get it !!
Old 31-05-2007, 08:52 PM   #14
Paivi

Have a look here for riding advice for the vertically challenged.

I'm about 5'3" and my 695 hasn't been lowered and is plenty low enough, even without the comfort seat, but with that, it's about perfect height. Apart from when I park on gravel or a slope; I love valet parking!

So, with the seat altered, perhaps replaced with the gel seat and learning to live with your lower height, you should be OK without going for any mechanical changes.

Good luck! And welcome to the ever increasing 695 club. I'm the founding member...
Old 08-11-2020, 03:13 PM   #15
Spaggy

Question Adjustable Tie-Rod?

My 2007 695 has just passed the MOT, but with an advisory on the rear shock linkage, which as obvious (visible to the naked eye) play in it.
As a quick fix, I bought a second hand tie rod on eBay for less than the price of one new ball joint.
However, pics of it show it as a one piece casting, and so does the parts book.
But my 695 has a threaded adjuster (sorry I can't seem to upload a photo), which leads me to ask...
Was this a development? Or is it an after-market part? Or is it off of something else in the range?
Before I dismantle it to change, does anyone have any ideas about where mine comes from?