UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Monster 696 clutch noise

Old 30-06-2014, 08:50 PM   #1
deme87

Monster 696 clutch noise

Hello guys i am a new rider and member of this forum. I bought a 09 696 monster 2 month ago. I have noticed something in my gearbox.

1. When changing from 1st to 2nd gear there is a clank noise.
2. Happens when changing gear above 4-5k rpm
3. I pull the clutch all the way in.
4. Does not happen at any other gear at any rpm.
5. I blip the throttle as well and try to rev match but still the same noise.

Is this normal with this bike? Do i need to check the gear box?

Another question, i have noticed some unknown liquid/oil marks on the rear passenger peg and engine cover as seen in the photo in the link. Is this from the road or from the bike?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mhrkyvr6artiqvn/IMG_1113.jpg

Thanks guys!!
Old 30-06-2014, 08:57 PM   #2
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
Check the chain 1st to 2nd is often a clunky change especially if the cain is just a little too slack.

For the oil/liquid on that side of the motor you have haydraulics and the oil breather valve.
If the paints melted its haydraulics but then you've wioed it off and the paints still there so unlikely.
So could be oil from the breather, the base seals do leak or it could be from a split in the plumbing at the condenser box up inder the seat area.
This is maybe more likely as the runs are vertical, if they were from the road then you'd (A) see pools of stuff and the underside of the hugger would be covered (B) the runs would probably be angled back a bit
Old 30-06-2014, 09:19 PM   #3
deme87

Thanks for the reply!!

The noise is just from 1st to 2nd upshift so i thought it might be a problem with the 2nd gear in the gearbox..

As for the spills i have checked with photos from the day i bought it and they were still there. I will try a degreaser to remove them and observe with time if they accumulate again!! I also see some of this on the other side and also inside the wheel rims especially on the hub!!.. If you notice on the peg, the spill is wider on the bottom so i thought it could be from the road..
Old 30-06-2014, 10:18 PM   #4
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
Does it get on your boots. Check the oil pressure switch they can spray fine mist of oil.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2014, 10:29 PM   #5
deme87

From what i can see there isnt anything on my boots.. but the thing is that it is on many parts of the bike.. even inside the wheel..
Old 30-06-2014, 10:36 PM   #6
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
I would book it into a local dealer for a proper check over

The oil leak could get dangerous if it ends up on rear tyre, and the gearbox noise also needs investigating

Last edited by gary tompkins; 30-06-2014 at 10:39 PM..
gary tompkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:56 AM   #7
deme87

Thanks for your answers guys really appreciate it. I will clean the whole thing with some degreaser and look if it happens again.. if it does then it has to go to the shop!! The thing is that looking at the service history of the previous owner, it was taken to the dealer for chain replacement and some other stuff like a few hundred miles before the current mileage. So i thought if it was something that bad they would pick it up, but you never know!!!
Old 02-07-2014, 03:59 PM   #8
deme87

Hello again.. I have tried to clean the stains with wd-40 but they are not coming off!! i could get it off the swing arm but the rest of place its not coming off!! Maybe use a better degreaser? or if it was oil it would come off with the wd-40?

Also i called the ducati dealer about servicing and asked them about the noise from 1st to 2nd gear and he told me that it should be very smooth and no sound should be heard!! He said definitely is something with the gearbox!! not sure now what to do!!

I tried lifting the chain up and measure the distance and it should be between 46-48mm but it is more like 10mm!! Could this be the reason for the noise?

Last edited by deme87; 02-07-2014 at 04:44 PM..