UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » help,running on one cylinder

Old 13-02-2009, 05:53 PM   #1
johnny fontana

help,running on one cylinder

I just had my tank off to do some tinkering on my 1999 900 now put it all back and only running on one cylinder . Any ideas ? what can I check
Thanks
Johnny
Old 14-02-2009, 12:16 AM   #2
Pomp1

have you got spark?is it good?try swapping the plugs around,if it cures it you've got the offender. obvious stuff is the HT lead up to the coil and the coil itself.
Old 14-02-2009, 07:29 AM   #3
Trent

Are the coils under the tank on that model?

If so, you may have "tinkered" one of the coil wires off it's connector - check both the coils to make sure they look the same - IE they both have the same number of wires connected to them etc.
Old 14-02-2009, 11:32 AM   #4
johnny fontana

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny fontana View Post
I just had my tank off to do some tinkering on my 1999 900 now put it all back and only running on one cylinder . Any ideas ? what can I check
Thanks
Johnny
Thanks guys, just checked the plug, plug cap, HT lead coils,pick up coils etc and they all checked out ok. started it again and now its ok !!! Whats that all about ?? must be a dodgy connection somewhere. Bloody wiring. I think thats the only thing that lets monsters down
Johnny
Old 14-02-2009, 11:55 AM   #5
Pomp1

don't want to sound funny but maybe the plug not fully inserted in the cap,thus giving a weak spark
Old 14-02-2009, 01:54 PM   #6
julesbristol

mine does this every 2-3 months and buying new plugs always does the trick
Old 14-02-2009, 11:16 PM   #7
snakey

try buying irridium plugs - a bit more expensive but they last a lot longer
Old 15-02-2009, 12:47 PM   #8
johnny fontana

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakey View Post
try buying irridium plugs - a bit more expensive but they last a lot longer
The plug is fine, I have this gadget that you put between the plug and cap and shows you the spark. when I had the problem there was a very weak spark, after doing all the checks as it tells you in the haynes manual ie coil and pick up coil resistance, plug lead and cap etc it then started fine. I can only guess it was a bad connection which is worrying as I have know idea what it was.
Thanks
Johhny
Old 15-02-2009, 01:29 PM   #9
lcjohnny

running on one

Those spark checker tools only show that the power is going to the plug - but they dont show that it is sparking!
If the plug is very wet with fuel the spark seems to track across the wet surface. Try replacing it with a dry plug and see if that works.

If the battery is low and the oil is thick (cold weather) mine sometimes wets a plug and only one pot fires then it won't go onto 2 cylinders till i take out the wet one and dry it.
You can tell which one is wet because that cylinder is cold.

I am sure that iridium plugs will fix it but i am too lazy/tight to buy them

Jon