UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Service/Dealer & Insurance » Breakdown Cover. Who do you use?

Old 12-05-2008, 11:02 AM   #1
dlloyduk

Breakdown Cover. Who do you use?

Can anyone reccomend any cheap Car + Bike deals?

Just got my RACon renewal through £106 from £54 paid last year.
Scandolous or what?

I think these people take the P***s when you pay by DD or renew regularly.
I,ve had the same with insurance this month Car went from £295 upto £410. I swapped and went through swiftcover for £195 inc the legal con add on. Then came the bike insurance £110 upto £185 from Bennetts ended up paying £95 inc legal con again via swiftcover site.

I know I have saved enough to pay the RACon but I,m on a mission against these people now!

Its all part of the Great UK rip off the prices of these 3 things nearly 100% increase when I,ve never had a claim on car insurance in 25 years,or the bike for 4 years. I called the RAC to plug a puncture on the bike once and waited 6 hours for them to turn up!
Old 12-05-2008, 11:16 AM   #2
Lowsider

Can't help but my insurer gave me breakdown cover with the policy.

I am insured through eBike don't know how good the cover is as I have not had to use it yet. touching wood as I type....
Old 12-05-2008, 11:28 AM   #3
dlloyduk

Tried that. Covering the car on the bike policy or the bike on the car policy......no sorry sir we dont insure cars/bike depending on which one you ring.....yes but I'm only talking about the breakdown cover.....you will have to ring the the company who we buy our cover from sir(greenflag)......Greenflag please can I cover my bike on my car breakdown insurance that I bought from EGG yes sir no problen just contact Egg insurance and they can arrange it......No they F*****g could not. Why? Cos they don't insure bikes!.....But Greenflag should be able to help!

I guess there is simply not a button on their computer system that says Bike!
Old 12-05-2008, 11:34 AM   #4
Gimley

I had a look at this earlier in the year and the only way I could find to cover both car and bike was to just cover the person. This covers any vehicle the person is using or travelling in.

For some reason this inflates the price (dont see how as I can only ride/drive 1 vehicle at a time) so I was quoted around the £105 mark, but that was for everything, Home Start, Relay etc.
There are some pay and claim policies out there which I am looking at which work out a lot cheaper but means you have to pay the recovery company then claim back. Could work out much better if you keep a credit card with you..
Will probably go down this route myself as you can get it for around £36 which is great bearing in mind the way everything else is going up..

G
Old 12-05-2008, 11:38 AM   #5
CK & AK
flob-a-lob-a-lob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
We use AA, mainly cos we need peace of mind with going racing.
This covers the van, car or bikes - we are the members so its whatever vehicle we are using. The only bit of membership we dont have is the home start, reckoning that if AK cant get 'it' going then we aint going.....
This AA cover paid for itself in the only time we've called them out (so far, but fingers xx'd) in Oct 2006, late Sunday night on the A1 when the alternator went on the van (long wheelbase/hightop).
This required a low loader to put the van on, to get us back. Cost would have been horrific if we hadnt have been members of a breakdown org

I also have breakdown for my bike - from Ducati (since last week ) - which wasnt that brilliant when I used them back in 2002, so hope i dont have to find out if they have improved or not.......

C
CK & AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 11:47 AM   #6
dlloyduk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimley View Post
I had a look at this earlier in the year and the only way I could find to cover both car and bike was to just cover the person. This covers any vehicle the person is using or travelling in.

For some reason this inflates the price (dont see how as I can only ride/drive 1 vehicle at a time) so I was quoted around the £105 mark, but that was for everything, Home Start, Relay etc.
There are some pay and claim policies out there which I am looking at which work out a lot cheaper but means you have to pay the recovery company then claim back. Could work out much better if you keep a credit card with you..
Will probably go down this route myself as you can get it for around £36 which is great bearing in mind the way everything else is going up..

G
Yeahh looked at that but with these people the Red tape and small print scares me off.......like to claim your cash back you must call us a 03:00am on the 1st January and listen to greensleeves on hold for 2 hours then submit a handwritten claim of 3,000 words explaining exactly why your car/bike broke down, this letter must arrive by recorded delivery between 9:01am and 9:02am on December the 25th.

Just called the AA for a price £96. Ok I'll call back later. One moment sir I,ll try to get a price of my supervisor ok then-£76.
Why do they do that?
Old 12-05-2008, 11:50 AM   #7
dlloyduk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK & AK View Post
We use AA, mainly cos we need peace of mind with going racing.
This covers the van, car or bikes - we are the members so its whatever vehicle we are using. The only bit of membership we dont have is the home start, reckoning that if AK cant get 'it' going then we aint going.....
This AA cover paid for itself in the only time we've called them out (so far, but fingers xx'd) in Oct 2006, late Sunday night on the A1 when the alternator went on the van (long wheelbase/hightop).
This required a low loader to put the van on, to get us back. Cost would have been horrific if we hadnt have been members of a breakdown org

I also have breakdown for my bike - from Ducati (since last week ) - which wasnt that brilliant when I used them back in 2002, so hope i dont have to find out if they have improved or not.......

C
I'm of the same frame of mind if I cant fix it neither can they.
All I really need is a Tow/lift home.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:50 PM   #8
Scotty

what particularity annoys me is these 'recovery services' don't recover you if you drop you bike in a car park( and snap a break leaver for example), it counts as a road traffic accident, and your at the mercy of what you got in your insurance, muss grumble (me of cheap skate insurance for a ****ter with absolutely no breakdown cover at all)
Old 12-05-2008, 06:15 PM   #9
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
Been with RAC for about 11 years now

Cover all our vehicles (car, 2 bikes and 2 trikes) on one policy

Last edited by gary tompkins; 12-05-2008 at 06:18 PM..
gary tompkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 03:01 PM   #10
hollem

Well….I think if you wait for some more time… you can get a lot better suggestions that this…I am out of any ideas for this!!!!
Old 02-06-2008, 07:02 PM   #11
Blah blah
Upsetting normal people..

Bike: S2r
I use AA myself (not alcoholics anon, but maybe I should start), anyway we're both covered personally, not for a particular vehicle, which is really useful. On the occassions I've had to use them they're brilliant, quick and don't take the pish too much

However, when I was using relay from Plymouth to Stafford, (pillion on a mate's Fireblade when he threw it up the road, found out a week later that I'd bust my wrist)) we had to change vehicles several times on the way back - I suppose they call it relay for a reason - not a real issue, but it's a bit frustrating sitting in the services waiting for someone else to turn up
Blah blah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 05:27 AM   #12
Kiwi

carol nash, its free with the policy - limited to 4 breakdowns a year

have 4 classic bikes plus a ducati on the policy for around £250

breakdown cover is claimed on about once a year

no problems with the breakdown service
Old 03-06-2008, 09:44 AM   #13
mikej

I got mine free with my insurance company too (EBike).

They have been really good actually. Picked up a nail in my rear tyre and even though it states it is not covered by the policy and the bike was outside my house at the time and home start wasn't included either, they sent the RAC round to repair the tyre and didn't charge me a penny!

Was also shocked to see my premiums also going down year on year so would recommend them.

Mike.