UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Monster 1100s

Old 10-11-2014, 07:26 PM   #1
Rjtberlin

Monster 1100s

Just moved back to the UK, looking for another bike, love the look of the monster so am considering it

Found a beautiful 1100s for sale, looks amazing

How good are they? Reliable? Ok in town, read a few reports saying this is a no-go

Should i aim for the 1100 or is the 796 the best of both worlds?

Appreciate any advice

Anybody touring on theirs too? Wont happen a lot but would like to!

Cheers!
Old 10-11-2014, 07:47 PM   #2
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Lots of people on here swear by them. The in town riding can be smoothed out in various ways.

Albie has just sold his I think. Not sure but that's the rumour anyway. I'm hoping there will be a thread about it soon!

Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 07:54 PM   #3
garry

my 1st duc, an 1100 evo... lovin it.

bit of a clunker chuggin about town, but i believe an ickle front sprocket sorts all that..
Old 10-11-2014, 08:23 PM   #4
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
1100S is a twin spark plug head so less clunky than the evo ( single plug ) in low revs if it helps. PM Mart64 for his opinion of his new bike. He seems very happy and who would blame him.
Some drop a tooth on front but preferred not to do it on mine.
796 is a peach engine I am told ( hope so ) but the 1100 is far better torque. Good luck with the purchase.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 08:55 PM   #5
Rally
Taking life easy........

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
You can't beat the 1100s, a future classic too. I loved mine to bits.
Rally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 09:09 PM   #6
Rjtberlin

What are servicing costs like on these?
Old 10-11-2014, 09:15 PM   #7
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjtberlin View Post
What are servicing costs like on these?
My last one inc belts checking adjusting shims if necessary etc ,rear pads fluids filters and a MOT was £440 at an independent with a good reputation. That's the dearer service so probs £200 more than normal. That was Proteam Ducati in Strood Kent
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 06:12 AM   #8
SunEye

Bike: Other Ducati
I rode a 796 and 1100 before deciding to buy the 1100 which I had for 2 years before getting an 1100 evo. The 1100 has more get up and go than the 796, just the amount that I like. If I had the 796 I'd always want that little bit more, partly because I'd know that the 1100 has that.

With Termis, DP ECU and air filter the 1100 is not too bad at lower revs (down to about 3000 rpm) especially with a 14T front sprocket (or an extra 2-3 teeth on the rear). I currently have an 1100 evo (did 15,000 miles on an 1100 before) with standard ECU, GPR Powercone exhaust, O2 sensor eliminators and a 14T it is smooth right down to about 2000 rpm. Like that my evo is easy to ride in town.

If you really want to get the best out of the engine and have it performing how the designers intended before it was compromised somewhat to meet noise and emissions regs then an ECU remap is the ideal solution.

I've toured on my 1100 and 1100 evo a lot. I average about 7,500 miles a year. None of that is commuting and most of it is 200+ miles at a time. My longest touring days have been 600 miles going to/from southern Spain and to/from the highlands of Scotland.

I would recommend the Ducati touring seat which is far more comfortable for long journeys than the standard seat.

On the 1100 I found that my heels rubbed the pillion peg hangers. You could fit some rearsets and remove the hangers, but I found that Oberon racing footpegs moved my feet outwards by about 1cm, which just helped my heels clear the hangers.

I also found the bars to be a bit wide, which I found didn't give me a relaxed enough arm position for long distance riding. I fitted Rizoma SportLine grips which due to their shape forced my hands to be as close in on the bars as possible. I also trimmed about 9mm off each bar end (the SportLine grips are about 9mm shorter than the Ducati grips).

IMHO the standard mirrors are pants. There are lots of aftermarket ones that are better. If you buy cheap anodised mirrors and go touring to somewhere with strong sun (e.g. southern Spain) don't expect the anodising to be the same colour after a week.

For touring luggage a lot of people like the Kriega stuff or if you want to fit a rack (rather ugly IMHO) then the Ventura luggage is the way to go. On my evo I have a Bags Connection Quick Lock tank bag which I find very useful when touring for keeping my wallet, phone, keys, water, map, sandwiches, waterproofs, etc safe.
SunEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 06:19 AM   #9
SunEye

Bike: Other Ducati
As far as reliability goes my 1100 never had a single issue in the two years that I owned it from new.
SunEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 06:53 AM   #10
Black Bob

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjtberlin View Post
Should i aim for the 1100 or is the 796 the best of both worlds?

Appreciate any advice

Anybody touring on theirs too? Wont happen a lot but would like to!

Cheers!
Which both worlds are these?

You really need the words of someone who has owned both. But until then, all I can add is, get an 1100. They can be smoothed out for town with lower gearing and either a remap or some simple O2 sensor eliminators, and I don't know anyone with an 1100 who ever said, "oh it's good but I wish it had a bit less grunt". The biggest comlaint I have in town, is that it can cook your legs and plums a bit in the summer if you don't keep moving. (Like a few other bikes.)

Touring great is you don't mind a bit of wind blast and squashed testicles. (I happen to like one but not the other.) Depending on your size and shape, they may be your only complaints. 50mpg is easy, and it works great on sport touring rubber like Pilot Roads, so doesn't cost a fortune to do big miles.

Can't think there'd be much cost saving on a 796 either. If dithering between the 2 then you obviously don't actively want a 796, so save yourself any chance of regret and go for the big one. It has possibly the best air-cooled engine ever made.

Old 11-11-2014, 07:33 AM   #11
J.P
No more Monster...

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
Check the FOR SALE section of the forum.
A couple of very good bikes for sale at the moment.
My 1100 EVO being one of them

-------------------------------

My Mum says, there's no such thing as Monsters.
J.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 08:05 AM   #12
Dirty
Bockloks

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P View Post
Check the FOR SALE section of the forum.
A couple of very good bikes for sale at the moment.
My 1100 EVO being one of them
Links rock

Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 04:55 PM   #13
EvoAde

I bought a 2yr old, 1,500mile 1100 evo three months ago. I've ridden a lot of bikes in my 42yrs of riding and I must say that the Monster is up there with the best. The previous owner had spent about 2k on nice bits including a Termi exhaust and a 14 tooth front sprocket. I've just had the ECU remapped by Cornerspeed Ducati (Nottinghamshire) as it was still a bit rough at low revs; and I'm used to Harley's so I know what rough low speed running is like! Miles better now and a couple more horses too. I got a Ducati seat bag off ebay and I'm sure that with throw over saddlebags and the touring seat, you could easily tour on it (I've got my 13yr old Harley Road-King for that). It's a fun bike to own and ride plus you won't get a hernia pushing it around (unlike the Harley).
Old 11-11-2014, 06:00 PM   #14
TonyG

I got a very low mileage 1100s earlier this year and love it, can't recommend it enough. I've got Arrow cans but it hasn't been remapped and is fine at low speed, though wouldn't be my choice for commuting. The DP seat is very good and ok for a couple of hundred miles in a day. Touring might be limited by carrying capacity, not sure how much you could strap to it, especially with the high level exhausts. It's the most addictive bike I've had in several years.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:57 PM   #15
chris.p
Gold Member

I have test ridden the 796 and found it good around town and very good at tight back lane shenanigans ;-), but having just sold my 748R with an 853 kit in it, I really missed the torque so got an 1100 Evo.
Was disappointed with the suspension, so wallet out and a Wilburs was purchased, went for the higher quality one with remote compression bottle, beauty of the Wilburs is that the instructions included pictures of it already fitted to an Evo, so easily fitted and the results are just fantastic, much more comfortable.
Termi's fitted and Ecu Rexxer flashed by Neil at Cornerspeed, 14 tooth front sprocket fitted. The result is an easy to use bike in town and much more responsive on the throttle and a good strong torque, Result.

Also put the the lower handlebar clamps from the 1100 so feel a bit more comfortable (bad lower back) for me.

So for me It would be the 1100 Evo.
chris.p is offline   Reply With Quote