UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Wanting a monster ...

Old 04-09-2009, 09:02 AM   #1
MBurras

Wanting a monster ...

Hi all, just thought i would start by saying hello and congratulating you all on a such a great forum

I currently own a GS500e, and as much as it is a good bike, im dieing for something a bit more special, I absolutely love the Monster, and im looking at selling the gs for one when i turn 18, when ive got my 2 years no claims under my belt (touch wood!).

I honestly live on my bike, not only is it my only form of transport, its my only source of fun

can anybody shed any light on the comfort of the monster? as i like to have the odd blast a hundred miles or so to the coast, and am planning to go over for a few little trips to France.

The major downfall is that im on the 33bhp restriction till im 19 , can anybody tell me how the bike runs once restricted? i realize im looking at getting the 600, and 2001 or before for the carb restriction?

Thanks in advance if anyone can help
Old 04-09-2009, 09:07 AM   #2
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
Hi and welcome. Monsters are comfy but it really depends on you and your body. Cant always guarantee comfort on a bike. Ducati also sell gel filled comfort seats and they are also easy to recover and custom fit padding. Get hold of a tatty seat on ebay for around £30 and do something good with it.
Never had a restrictor kit but never heard anything bad. A few members on here have got them.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 09:37 AM   #3
steeevvvooo

Bike: M1100evo
Welcome! My first “big” bike was a M600, 2001 reg. I absolutely loved it, but sold for a Thundercat earlier this year, then promptly sold that for a bigger monster.

I found it comfy enough, but didn’t do more than a couple of hours. The riding position suited me better than the Thundercat though.

Best to try one. Some people complain about pressure on their wrists, or lower back, but I find a monster just seems to “fit” me.

And don’t worry about the 33bhp restriction. I’ve never had one myself, but the monster is fun low down the revs anyway. Not sure how they are restricted, but if it’s just chopping off the top end of the revs, you’ll still have a hoot on it!

Good luck on the search!
steeevvvooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 10:20 AM   #4
Yorkie
Anglo-Saxon Warrior

Bike: M900
Cool

I originally had mine restricted to 33bhp, and apart from the top end i didnt notice any difference.

I still toured europe on it and used it everyday. I took it off after almost 1 year and then dynojetted her and it was all smiles from there!!!

As for comfort again ive done 7 hours in the saddle, and ive had no real problems. (Im a little over 6')

Yorkie
Yorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 11:16 AM   #5
He11cat

Ive currently ride 3 very diff styles of bike..
(Monster is fine I just jumped on and went for it..)

I find compared to my drag styled bikes .. obviously im very very upright..
Im very much a legs back, curled up and lay on my tank sort of girl..ie clip on's or drag bars.

So was like riding the ER5 of doom position again... but the bars I have are horrible...(braced bars)
Comfy ride ... get a good seat.
Good all round vision..

I think I may have to gulp do something with mine ..i love being more forward riding....
love naked bikes , but want a screen and some sort of bar change so Im a little more relaxed.
Il leave for a while... and see...

Monster is a lovely bike im very happy... (part from my cans.....too quiet for me)...
Old 04-09-2009, 07:18 PM   #6
Bigxr

Welcome MBurras, I'm a newbie here too and just got my 1st Monster. My advice to you, Just DO IT!! you wont regret it, and if you do, sell it and go back to the jap stuff. Simple.
As for restriction, my S2R 800 (Fuel injected) came with a service history, and in the past it had a restriction kit fitted, certificate the lot. Its not restricted now, oh no! but it can be. So pick your Monster, get it restricted and Robert is your fathers brother.
Hellcat, Get an S2R. Everything you say and more. Cans are still way too quiet though.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:46 PM   #7
Arbeia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigxr View Post
Welcome MBurras, I'm a newbie here too and just got my 1st Monster. My advice to you, Just DO IT!! you wont regret it, and if you do, sell it and go back to the jap stuff. Simple.
As for restriction, my S2R 800 (Fuel injected) came with a service history, and in the past it had a restriction kit fitted, certificate the lot. Its not restricted now, oh no! but it can be. So pick your Monster, get it restricted and Robert is your fathers brother.
Hellcat, Get an S2R. Everything you say and more. Cans are still way too quiet though.
You obviously havent tried the 696? alot more fun.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:20 PM   #8
Bigxr

Nooooo, but a newish 696 (theyre not very old) is nearly twice the price of a decent S2R, is it twice the bike?
Old 04-09-2009, 10:47 PM   #9
Arbeia

Quote:
Nooooo, but a newish 696 (theyre not very old) is nearly twice the price of a decent S2R, is it twice the bike?
I thought so
Old 11-09-2009, 01:12 PM   #10
jwood26

Fantastic in my opinion!!

Hi m8. The M600 is a fantastice first bike , very forgiving. Is chuck aboutable and mine never missed a beat. Although, it was hard going sometimes on the slow work with the clucth. What I can reccommend and it just so happens I am selling mine!! Is the M620!
If you go on the selling forum part all the info is on there m8.
Same as riding the 600 but a tad easier on the arms hahaha.
Riding a monster is like sitting up and begging rather than laying and crying like sports bikes. Easier on the arms and back and a lot cheaper to run!!
Cheers
Jackie Wood
Old 11-09-2009, 02:57 PM   #11
J.P
No more Monster...

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
Welcome to the club and yes it is a great forum thank you.

Comfort I don't think is going to be a problem for you at all, neither is the restrictor kit, it'll let you use the bottom 2/3 rd's of the power and that's what you'll be using most of the time anyway.
Longer distances will be no problem at all, the wind blast on the motorways helps to give a little support to your upper body and relieve some of the pressure. That's good.

As for distances the only problem will be tank range, as mist most monsters they don't have the biggest tanks in the world, but you should easily get 130-150 miles to a tank on the smaller engines.
You'll want to investigate some throw over saddle bags from someone like Oxford if you're going to travel.

-------------------------------

My Mum says, there's no such thing as Monsters.
J.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 08:26 PM   #12
Liz
Co-ordination

Bike: S2r
Hi and welcome! I love my '95 Monster! Get in touch/pm MrKris - rode out with him the other week to Chipping Norton - he's got a 750 Monster restricted and he's only 18 so may be able to give you some advice about power etc!!
TC
Liz
Old 14-09-2009, 12:48 AM   #13
Amethyst

hiya id reccomend the 696 monster. i've got one and i love it defo puts a smile on ya face !!!
Old 10-10-2009, 11:20 AM   #14
Loosehead

just moved up a gear on my Monster too, from a Monster 600 Dark, to an S4 Senna.... love it love it love it!! £3k and 3k on the clock... £1 a mile!! after a belt change shim check and some fresh oil on the road I found the bike a lot lighter than the 600 and easier to dip into bends. still toying with the set up but coming along nicely.... still got the 600 in the garage so seems a waste, almost criminal!! so if you looking for your 1st monster on the cheap all the history etc drop me a message
Old 10-10-2009, 08:33 PM   #15
Duke Konan

Quote:
Get an S2R. Everything you say and more. Cans are still way too quiet though.
Step 1: Get rid of the cat and free up some of that wonderful rumble. It's amazing how much louder they get without the cat. You do, however risk losing some bottom end torque (I've been told this can be sorted out with a PCIII but haven't done this myself..I got race cans instead)

Step 2: Get baffle-less cans and risk ear damage