UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Hey

Old 03-05-2011, 12:19 PM   #1
Simon695

Hey

Hi i'm Si

I live in North Yorkshire, doing my bike test this month and hoping to buy a 2007 Monster 695. It has 5500, red frame and rest of the bike is black for £3500. Is this a good price?

Thanks
Old 03-05-2011, 12:44 PM   #2
J.P
No more Monster...

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
If it's got a full history and in good nick I'd have guessed £3,000 to £3,500, so it's a the top end of that.
My first monster was a 695 and loved the look.

And a welcome to the club, good luck with the test when it happens.

-------------------------------

My Mum says, there's no such thing as Monsters.
J.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 01:09 PM   #3
JerryT

Yes, Good Luck - and when you've passed perhaps consider doing advanced training too...
Old 03-05-2011, 01:14 PM   #4
the_adam

Hi Si,

Think that's what I paid for mine about 1 1/2 years ago, it had quite a few nice extras included although I'd seen them going for more in dealers at the time. If it looks in good shape that shouldn't be a bad price but you might be able to get a couple of hundred off if you ask. At that sort of age you might see a bit of peeling engine paint but everything else should be good. Remember to factor in the cost of its first service if it hasn't been done already too - unless you're just planning to be using it for the occasional weekend it'll come round quite quickly.

For me it's been a good first bike, took a little getting used to after 2 years on a 125 and it could possibly do with being a little faster a couple of years on...although it's still great fun. Definitely better than that japanese 250 I was told I should get! Should be a keeper
Old 03-05-2011, 09:01 PM   #5
Simon695

Thanks for the welcome guys.

As more details of the bike it is at a dealers, hence the higher price tag? The bike would be fully serviced, has full service history and has 1 previous owner. Thankfully with myself being 21 i can do the DAS course so no messing about restricting bike but this should keep me happy for a couple of years as i plan to get a cheap car to run around in over the winter period.

Is there any particular things i should be looking for whilst looking at Monsters? For around £3500 can you get the 696? Is it worth getting over a 695? I've been told the belts need replacing every 2years years regardless of mileage?

Sorry for all the questions but it's best to ask and know rather than be possibly told a load of rubbish.

Thanks
Old 03-05-2011, 09:36 PM   #6
singletrack

The 695 is a great bike, but the 696 is better in a lot of ways. The 695 looks better and is a typical "old style" Monster, but the 696 is easier to ride and more comfortable - in my opinion better for a new rider ( although MANY on here would disagree) but I would be surprised if you could get one for £3500.

BUT don't make the mistake I made with my first bike. I bought something cheap and easy to ride(Honda CB500) but it didn't pull my heart strings. I ended up changing it for a Monster within 2 months of passing my test.

Buy the one you like best and gives you that tingly feeling in the pit of your stomach. Otherwise you will end up changing it in a couple of months anyway.

And good luck with your test
Old 03-05-2011, 09:40 PM   #7
rac3r

Welcome!

At that price I would suggest going for an S2R 800. Still new rider friendly but more likely to keep you entertained for longer
Old 03-05-2011, 09:43 PM   #8
Simon695

Yeah I've been told as soon as I get my license then I can take the bikes out for a good long ride to see what I like. I felt comfortable on the monster due to only being short, I'm only 5' 5" but the bike felt so light as well which gave me a lot of confidence in moving it about etc.

Got my module 1 on the 15th and I know that the CB500 I'm learning on needs a good tickle in 2nd to get above the necessary speeds for the avoidance and emergency stop
Old 04-05-2011, 12:15 AM   #9
the_adam

Having done the course with a 125 and 500 I'd say the bigger bike is definitely better suited to it. If you can carry as much speed as possible going through the bend in 2nd it makes things a lot easier, some test centres will move the final cone in slightly further to stop you taking the exit as wide though - instructor warned me about that.

Think a 696 will probably be out of your price range, cheapest ones I've seen have been £4500 and up. I'd wanted one myself to begin with but there's really nothing wrong with the older bikes
Old 04-05-2011, 06:53 AM   #10
Simon695

Ahh well i eventually felt comfortable giving it full throttle in 2nd gear which isnt bad considering it was the first time i'd rode a 500 and had only taken 2hours lol they better not move those cones otherwise i will not be happy lol

Just want my license so i can get on enjoy the sunshine on the bike instead of cooking in my car!
Old 04-05-2011, 09:24 AM   #11
the_adam

Yep, you don't really get that much time on the 500 when you think about it It's not actually that bad on the day, I only really failed my first one because I put my foot down on the figure of 8...had never done that before, I just don't do well when I know I'm being tested!
Old 04-05-2011, 09:39 AM   #12
J.P
No more Monster...

Don't just think that because it's a 695 cc bike you won't want more in a years time.
I only came to biking 5 years ago and was amazed at the number of people that changed bikes on a very regular basis. I thought they were mad. I thought 695 cc's would be plenty for years and years.

9 months later I bought a 998cc S4R Testastretta with 140 bhp...

I'm not saying you will, but just think it MIGHT be a possibility that you'll change your bike in the future.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:01 PM   #13
the_adam

This is very true. And the problem with getting a small monster is the temptation to make it your own and then not want to sell it again! For a while I've thought mine could do with a bit more power...but it's special now So the only thing that I'd be happy to exchange it for is a streetfighter s. Don't think anyone would be prepared to swap somehow

Having said that, I know someone that had a cb1300 early on and regretted it, your riding will progress better if you start out with something you can handle...just need to find the right balance!
Old 04-05-2011, 02:02 PM   #14
Davidg1230

Hi Simon695, I'm in a similar position to you, but have passed my DAS back in January. I'm currently riding around on a Yamaha X-Max which I'm hoping to off load shortly. Since passing my test I've test rode an Aprilia Shiver, Triumph Street Triple R and the Monster 696, all great bikes but the 696 stole my heart. whilst be smaller than the other 2 bikes, it gave me a better feeling and as other have said, the enjoyment/sensation is so much better on the Ducati.

It's just a shame I can't afford a 696 just yet as I've just sold my house and need to reduce my horizons a little and only have enough money to spend on an older 695 or 620 (but desparate for an S2R) I haven't actually ridden the older Monster models but sure they do me just fine. For the record, I'm 5'11" tall and the 696 felt quite small compared to the Triumph.

Good luck with your test...

Last edited by Davidg1230; 04-05-2011 at 02:09 PM..
Old 04-05-2011, 02:30 PM   #15
J.P
No more Monster...

And once you've all found your new bikes, come join the UKMOC Mallory Park Trackday on Friday July 1st to try them out. See me for details.