UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Cans, Tyres, Brakes, etc. » 796 tyre recommendations

Old 22-09-2013, 08:48 PM   #1
justin796

796 tyre recommendations

Hi all,

I know this has probably been covered many times before, but my "factory fitted" Pirelli Diablo Rosso tyres have finally covered their last mile so I'm in need of a new set for my Monster 796.
I've only covered just over 2k & the rear has scrubbed out but the front has worn flat on the sides.
What is your opinion of the Pirelli's? Not sure whether to go for the new Pirelli Diablo Rosso 2's or try a different brand altogether.
My riding is 90% dry riding around Mid Wales on twisty country roads if that helps?
Any input on other brands would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Justin
Old 22-09-2013, 09:01 PM   #2
pompone
MaleDucati

Bike: M900
2K and you need new tires?? Were they new on the bike when you got it? I know people are really fond of Michelin CT. I do like the Pirelli generally speaking even thought this year I've been mainly using Power One, but I'll be swapping them for something else during winter..
Old 24-09-2013, 03:13 PM   #3
justin796

Hi,

Yes had the bike from new & after 1800 miles on my service at Ducati I was told front & back tyres need changing!!
I'm tempted to try another brand as I'm not impressed with such short mileage from the Pirelli tyres. Ok I do accelerate hard at times but what is a bike for?
I previously had a Honda Firestorm & run that on Bridgstone 020's & got double the mileage. I think I've answered my own question but what has now replaced the old 020's?

Justin
Old 24-09-2013, 03:22 PM   #4
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
BT-016 or BT-023 would be the current equivalents

Last edited by slob; 24-09-2013 at 03:25 PM..
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2013, 03:25 PM   #5
pompone
MaleDucati

Pirelli they normally go at least 4K on my bike. Front and back to be changed together? almost unheard of, no disrespect intended but are you sure they're not trying it on just to sell? can you post pictures of the tires?

Last edited by pompone; 24-09-2013 at 03:27 PM.. Reason: Slob got the answer on 020's
pompone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2013, 05:15 PM   #6
Martin C
Bronze Member

Unless you constantly ride like a MotoGp contender, you might want to check you're using the correct (cold) tyre pressures - it's not unknown for people to confuse PSI and Bar scales on different gauges!

Also, some dealers could be keen to recommend the premature replacement of anything consumable....

And of course, Michelin Pilot Road 2's give very good all-weather performance and are good value.
Old 24-09-2013, 07:03 PM   #7
Grumpy
record breaker!!

Bike: M1200R
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin796 View Post
Hi all,

I know this has probably been covered many times before, but my "factory fitted" Pirelli Diablo Rosso tyres have finally covered their last mile so I'm in need of a new set for my Monster 796.
I've only covered just over 2k & the rear has scrubbed out but the front has worn flat on the sides.
What is your opinion of the Pirelli's? Not sure whether to go for the new Pirelli Diablo Rosso 2's or try a different brand altogether.
My riding is 90% dry riding around Mid Wales on twisty country roads if that helps?
Any input on other brands would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Justin
The front wearing flat on the sides is a sign of incorrect pressure, try experimenting with the pressures on the new tyres.
Talking of new tyres... I have fitted BT016's to my Griso, very impressed overall, although the front is pressure sensitive. This might only apply to the Griso and not a monster.
The rear has done about 3.5k and has another 1k ish left.
Old 24-09-2013, 07:39 PM   #8
AndyC_772

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Quote:
Unless you're just saying that to make us jealous, that may have something to do with the short life you're getting from your tyres!

I ride a bigger, heavier bike, but my tyres last ages... something to do with the fact that there are only three corners worthy of the name between my home and office, and the rest is straight dual carriageway.

For what it's worth, I do end up changing both together, but heavy front tyre wear is a known characteristic of my particular bike.
AndyC_772 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2013, 07:45 PM   #9
bluestoesonnose

Michelin Pilot 3

There I said it...
Old 25-09-2013, 09:55 AM   #10
justin796

Thanks for the posts.
I check tyre pressure on a regular basis with my own digital pressure gauge & always set it to what the Ducati book says. I never trust the gauges on the garage air compressors, but saying that, what's to say my digital is reading correct? I must try another one.
I know what you're saying about getting psi & bar mixed up, I double check every time.
I wasn't convinced about the front tyre being worn out but you think you can trust your dealer. The rear is without doubt knackered though!
If I get time I will post a photo of the front & get a second opinion from another bike dealer.

In the mean time I might purchase a different digital pressure gauge if anyone can recommend a good one? Hope this could be the problem.

Thanks again guys for the posts.

Justin
Old 25-09-2013, 01:48 PM   #11
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
I use the old pencil type pressure gauges, having once read somewhere that they are more reliable.
I have to say that I find it easier to trust a mechanical gauge over a digital one which merely gives you a number on a screen with no indication as to why.
However, I recently found that both of my bikes were running about 7 or 8psi low on both wheels.
Tbh, I can't remember which gauge I'd used when I last checked them, ie my own pencil gauge, a garage forecourt machine or a borrowed digital gauge.
I have since verified that my own gauge is reading accurately now, but I still don't know whether it had malfunctioned earlier or not.
The point of saying all this is that, while I still have confidence in my pencil gauge, I think its worth owning two gauges, preferably of completely different types, so that one can be checked against the other from time to time to ensure that your readings are accurate.
They're cheap enough so you might as well be fussy about such a critical feature as tyre pressures which are, after all, an essential aspect of your connection to the road surface.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 03:21 PM   #12
chris_s2r

Michelin Pilot Power 2CT are great and currently on my bike. Very pleased.
There is a new tyre released by Michelin think based on 2CT and it is called Pilot Power 3.
Same shape, benefits of 2CT but with few more groves for more grip in rain and apparently lasts 20% longer
Old 25-09-2013, 04:04 PM   #13
chris.p
Gold Member

Bike: No Bike Yet!
My Wife had BT016's on her 696, I have done a session at Cadwell when we both went on a track day, and have ridden it on the roads, all I cansay is that they are extremely good and would highly recommend them, and will be looking to stick a pair on my 748.

Chris.
chris.p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 07:43 PM   #14
Flip

Quote:
I wasn't convinced about the front tyre being worn out but you think you can trust your dealer. The rear is without doubt knackered though!

If I get time I will post a photo of the front & get a second opinion from another bike dealer.

In the mean time I might purchase a different digital pressure gauge if anyone can recommend a good one? Hope this could be the problem.
O.K. first of all (excuse a bit of a rant) but can you not check yourself how much tread is left to know whether it needs replacing?

There are even wear mark indicators moulded into the tyre to help you-if they're level with the tread then there's not much life left-simples!

Secondly, get a decent analogue (dial) type gauge, look after it as they can't be thrown around too much but will be far better than a digital one.

I use one of these for checking the Monsters' and my race bike with 100% confidence.
Oh! and remember to check them cold.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Award-Winn...item1c36329e33

If you're really interested it is also worth checking them after a ride to get to know how your tyres behave in different conditions- it can get a bit anoraky but after a dry race my back tyre is up 8psi.

Lastly, think about the type of riding you really do (and be honest with yourself). Look at it this way, modern sports/touring tyres are giving the kind of performance that out and out sports tyres were capable of ten years ago- now look at the power your Monster makes to the Sports bikes of that time- probably less or not so different eh? So with the current crop of sports tyres behaving more like race tyres in that they need a decent amount of abuse to get them warm plus they'll cool down a bit if you ease off too much coupled with the fact most don't have a lot of tread (if any) on the edges meaning when (not if) you get caught in the rain they are a bit of liability on real roads. It all means that you should easily be able to find a tyre that out performs the bike and will give you a reasonable mileage too.

Phew! Done!!
Old 25-09-2013, 07:47 PM   #15
Black Bob

Bike: M1100evo
My Pilot Road 3's take absolutely everything my 1100 can throw at them - I imagine they'd be perfect on the 796.