UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Fuels & Oils » Oil screen debris

Old 27-07-2015, 08:38 PM   #1
squarehead

Oil screen debris

Pulled the oil screen out today:

A few small bits of aluminium, pics are of opposite sides of screen. I assume it's ok?

Last edited by squarehead; 27-07-2015 at 09:10 PM..
Old 27-07-2015, 09:26 PM   #2
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
Looks like mine.

Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 09:50 PM   #3
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
I just get pubes and fluff on mine...I imagine it must find it's way in when I fill up?

Is there any way that little bits of ali could possibly have entered the engine with new oil when you filled up?...In the funnel perhaps or on the top of the oil container, from some ali fabricating in your workshop?

I looked into having engine oil analysed when I had a very suspect engine (it seized shortly after these thoughts.!!).

If I recall, It was about £30 for a basic kit, and more for a more detailed analysis.

They look at fuel and contaminants in the oil and also various metals which could indicate bushes or bearings failing.
You get lots of info back...Bit like a blood test for your bike.

You need to do it every oil change to build up a picture really....I've never bothered with it myself, as it's quite pricey.
Old 27-07-2015, 09:54 PM   #4
Dirty
Bockloks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post

I looked into having engine oil analysed when I had a very suspect engine (it seized shortly after these thoughts.!!).

If I recall, It was about £30 a basic kit, and more for a more detailed analysis.

They look at fuel and contaminants in the oil and also various metals which could indicate bushes or bearings failing.
You get lots of info back...Bit like a blood test for your bike.

You need to do it every oil change to build up a picture really....I've never bothered with it myself, as it's quite pricey.
My mate used to be a Navy helicopter mech and was telling me about this. They sent off samples regularly and apparently different components are deliberately made out of slightly different metals/alloys so they could use it to accurately track wear or likely failures. Fascinating stuff.

Old 27-07-2015, 09:56 PM   #5
squarehead

Thanks dirty. Like a twonk I slightly overfilled it....

A job for tomorrow
Old 27-07-2015, 10:25 PM   #6
Dirty
Bockloks

Haha I did that last week. I used a large syringe and tube I had bought for brake bleeding to remove some.

Old 27-07-2015, 11:06 PM   #7
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
Looks fine to me, and I say that as someone who has experience of 'glittery' oil pickup filter on my 916 - every Desmoquattro owners dread.

I've solved it now with 'Newman' rockers (Newman cams cut off the chrome and weld on a stellite pad for no more flaking).

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 11:33 PM   #8
squarehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
I just get pubes and fluff on mine...I imagine it must find it's way in when I fill up?

Is there any way that little bits of ali could possibly have entered the engine with new oil when you filled up?...In the funnel perhaps or on the top of the oil container, from some ali fabricating in your workshop?
No chance at all! Fresh oil container, clean funnel, no chance of contamination. Just an over zealous operator wanting to fill to the upper mark

The particles definitely came from the engine.
Old 28-07-2015, 05:33 PM   #9
jerry
Old Git

Bike: Multiple Monsters
filter looks fine , odd bit of ally or steel is ok loads is bad , chrome flakes means dud rockers

what you filled it up with RED FANTA ?????
Old 28-07-2015, 07:28 PM   #10
squarehead

Motul 7100 Jerry, but you have a point
Old 28-07-2015, 08:06 PM   #11
Greyman

Yeah, it's called SOAP testing, (Spectrometric Oil Analysis Program) and is done on all turbine aircraft engines & probably on piston ones too, tho I don't have any experience on them. It cost us more than 30 quid tho...