UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Back to the fold

Old 26-05-2008, 07:45 PM   #1
kool4katz

Back to the fold

Hi

My story so far: Been riding since i was 16 so many many years now.All japanese bikes untill 1997 when i went into a dealership on a whim and walked out with a new monster 900.Tried a 600 but not enough grunt.900 was a lovely bike.I put high rise pipes and a belly pan on it, got rid of the tea tray for a nice tidy carbon piece and it looked the dogs danglies.Not easy to get high rise pipes back then so a bit special. After 2 yrs i got divorced so just had to have something to get me through it :-) so bought a new 748sps and loved that bike for 5 yrs before needing a pillion and getting fed up of peer pressure of everyone wanting to race me.. Did'nt fancy the ST's so always wanted a harley but image was putting me off.Anyway, bought an ex demo Dyna SuperGlide with no chrome bar the pipes and that was great to ride if a bit vibey.Went down to ST Tropez in two days and same back about 1000 miles each way but boy those harley seats are only 50 milers....ouch!!
After another 2 yrs decided to bite the bullet and go full chrome so bought a nearly new Harley Fatboy.Great looking bike and alot for your money. 2 yrs on and still a 50 miler seat...ouch again... i went down to the coast a couple of weeks ago and decided that i did not really enjoy riding this bike after all. Small roundabouts are a nightmare to get around and even junctions are interesting and that's with my experience.
Not interested in mass rideouts especially when people on forums tell you they have just passed their test and now have a fatboy or whatever.
Mind you i found the same on rideouts when i was in the Ducati Owners Sporting Club and saw some nasty accidents, nobody hurt big time thankfully.
So here i am comtemplating the 696. Need to see it in the flesh and get a demo ride and i think this size bike will do me now but.... what if they bring out a 969 ? mmmm anyone with inside info

Paul
Old 26-05-2008, 07:53 PM   #2
CK & AK
flob-a-lob-a-lob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Paul - welcome back to the 'fold'
Best you look out Boozy Bob - you share the same location!

I've had my M1000sie since Jan 2004, swearing I'd never change....... - and now also got the M696 - which is just right for the local twisty roads - its a real hoot to ride - go get a test on one sir!

CK
CK & AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2008, 10:14 AM   #3
kool4katz

Smile Update

Well i put my Harley up for sale Monday, sold on the saturday, booked 696 test ride saturday afternoon with Snells.
Test ride wednesday and bloody brilliant so put my money down on a red one with termi zorsts for good measure.
Delivery around beginning of October so we had better have a late summer!!

Interesting to see that my monster 900 1997 model had 71 bhp and that the 696 has 80 bhp.Yep well impressed.
Old 27-06-2008, 10:26 AM   #4
scrapps

glad you liked it and good to hear you have ordered one,shame about the wait...
I test rode the 696 to compare it to my 900ie (both with 80bhp) but it was pixxxxg it with rain so i did not get a feel for the bike, looked good i liked the way it felt but did not get to try the handling. so I will book another go soon and see how it corners in the dry.
enjoy the bike (when you get it) and welcome back....
Old 11-07-2008, 06:00 AM   #5
kool4katz

Smile Lucky Or What!!

Well i never seem to be the person who has good fortune dropping in my lap but i am one happy bunny.
Dealer rang to say they have had a cancellation so instead of waiting till October i pick my bike up tomorrow (sat).
Only 3 weeks since putting money down !
Will see you all out there this summer now
Old 11-07-2008, 06:35 AM   #6
sprintbint

Cool..............welcome back BTW
Old 11-07-2008, 09:30 AM   #7
Bodybag

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool4katz View Post
Well i never seem to be the person who has good fortune dropping in my lap but i am one happy bunny.
Dealer rang to say they have had a cancellation so instead of waiting till October i pick my bike up tomorrow (sat).
Only 3 weeks since putting money down !
Will see you all out there this summer now
You lucky bugger!! Well done on the good fortune. Even better as you seem to have missed the Monsoon season by about three days. Happy riding and enjoy your new toy.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:35 PM   #8
Humbucker

K4K, how lucky you are. My friend is looking at the 696 but the wait is putting him off. Maybe i should tell him to just go for it and hope for the best.

Enjoy the bike.
Old 11-07-2008, 03:46 PM   #9
PeterPoddy

I had a 696 on order from Snells and cancelled it on 30th May, as I'd found one in stock at CMW in Chichester that could have sooner!

You won't regret buying it, I can tell you that!
Old 11-07-2008, 06:33 PM   #10
benson

Very happy riding to you and well done on the choice - wait or no wait it's a lovely bike and a lot of fun and more than ample power - I loved the test ride I had on one a few weeks back and would love to have a go on Red Dog's demo again with the termis...

Happy delivery day tomorrow and I hope the sun shines!!!
Old 12-07-2008, 02:34 PM   #11
kool4katz

Happy Happy Happy

Ok, so after nervously watching all that rain come down last night i was relieved somewhat to see a relatively dry road.
2 hrs on public transport later and i was ready for that brekkie at the station cafe.
But wait....coming over real dark and cloudy.....do i skip my brekkie and make a run for it on the ol 696.
Sod it, rain or no rain i was having my greasy breakfast lol.
Turned out dry till i got within 1/4 of home and then rained.
Been out all afternoon and got soaked and bike looked somewhat dirty but all clean now and big smiles all round.
Yep.... thats what memories are made of.
All you people waiting for your bike are in for a real treat.
Just can't wait to fit the termies now!!