UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Lost my way a bit?

Old 11-09-2024, 02:50 PM   #16
Bitza
Silver Member

Bike: M900ie
OK so my plan of action is to reduce the effective spring rating down from the current 0.85 down to 0.8. In order to achieve this figure I will replace one of the current springs with one 0.75 spring. Interestingly according to Richard at Maxton, forks do not need to be a matched pair and the effective values equals the average between the two.
Old 11-09-2024, 06:01 PM   #17
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
As mentioned mine only have a spring in one leg, so that's as unbalanced as you can get which backs up what you say.
But why are you convinced the springs are too hard if you haven't measured the dynamic sag?
Old 12-09-2024, 12:34 PM   #18
Bitza
Silver Member

Bike: M900ie
Well the simple answer is I don't, but I am willing to experiment. The fact that I don't have enough sag with no preload does suggest that the springs are too hard. Also prior to altering the comparative ride heights front and back, I had already backed off the preload and had reduced the fork oil volume. As the forks have felt a bit hard. Having revised the ride height balance obviously I've also altered the weight bias, from the front to the rear.
Anyway the new spring should be here by the end of the week, so I'll update you on my experiment after that.