UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Rolling refresh - gauze screen help!

Old Today, 05:56 PM   #1
yellowfever
Bronze Member

Bike: S2r 1000
Rolling refresh - gauze screen help!

TL/DR:

For S2R1000 (or any 1000DS engined bike I guess) does anyone know:

(1) what tool gets the oil pick up filter gauze out (from feeling with finger it’s some kind of internal socket but with too many sides to be a pure 6 sided Allen socket and it’s also bigger than my biggest 12mm Allen socket). It will need a tool I can also use with my torque wrench when replacing it so I can torque it to correct 42Nm spec. I’ve nothing that fits it currently and don’t want to buy the wrong tool…

(2) torque (and sealant?) to use on (LCD dash) temperature sensor that screws into the pick-up filter cap.

Can’t find anything in workshop manual for either of these questions…

More info below

So having finally sorted the oil leak (by changing the timing shaft seal) I’m finally doing the minor service. I’ll take the opportunity to correct the incorrect oil cooler lines wrongly fitted by a pro mechanic in the past and do the oil line mod to clean up the timing side at the same time, by swapping the oil cooler delivery line for one from a Hypermotard..

I have also had an issue with temperature readings on the dash since the work on the timing shaft oil seal.. Just getting three dashes rather than flashing “lo” on starting and it rarely giving me readings thereafter or just some rather odd ones of low then a temp than a wildly different temp etc. I disturbed the cable to the sensor during the oil leak work, so hopefully it is an easy fix cleaning up and restoring the connection. And luckily in the meantime I knew this temperature sensor is not that important for running as it just feeds the LCD dash display. The ÉCU takes its feed from the front cylinder, so no issues for engine management.

So far I’ve drained the oil, removed the spin on oil filter and removed the oil cooler and lines and drained those too and started cleaning them up. But naturally a few niggles already appear.

Having removed the LCD temperature sensor I see as expected it comes with a copper washer (which I’ll be replacing) but it also seems to have some reddish sealant on it. The sensor is M10 but there is nothing listed in the torque settings for M10 oil temp sensor… an “Oil temperature sensor” is listed but this is M12 x 1.5 (not M10). It calls for 18 Nm and lock 4 (Lloctite 510 flange sealant resistant to mechanical stress, solvents and high temps - it’s pink so I think this is what was used rightly or wrongly). I suspect this M12 relates to the ÉCU temp sensor on the front cylinder, not the M10 LCD temp sensor…

Anyone know what torque/sealant (if any) should be used here?

‘Helpfully’ (not) the spin on oil filter that I got a correct fitting wrench for so I can fit a new one to the correct torque turns out to be fine for what’s on there now (I checked first) but on removal it’s a champion filter, not a Ducati one. And it turns out Ducati filters have a different number of faces (8). So I’ll need an 8 sided one to correctly fit the new Ducati spin on filter I already got. Grrr…

And lastly but most pressing is how to get the oil pick up filter out (the gauze one before the oil pump). On other models like my M600 it appears to come out attached to the cap. However from parts diagram for the 1000DS engine the cap is separate and the filter itself also appears to have a thread and some kind of socket (it’s also listed with a torque setting in the manual). From feeling with my finger it’s not a 6 sided Allen socket though (hard to tell but maybe 12 sided?) and it’s bigger than my biggest long 12mm Allen socket.

Anyone know what socket I need to get this out/refit it using a torque wrench? Some larger size of long Allen socket wrench? Or some special >6 sided tool? Any thoughts apprecaiated! Another simple job already becoming complicated/slowed by needing things I don’t have…

Last edited by yellowfever; Today at 06:02 PM..
yellowfever is offline   Reply With Quote