UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Evo fork oil

Old Today, 02:46 PM   #31
crawsue
Bronze Member

Bike: M1100evo
Evo fork oil.

Been rereading some threads including this one re the Evo Marzocchi forks , although I had mine “K-teched “ a couple of years ago I still feel that they are too firm, the invoice for the work is showing that they used “HPSF -017 “ in the rebuild. I notice in this thread that someone is running SAE 5 …..Unfortunately our technical sage Vince has stopped contributing at the moment, has anyone any experience in this field ? Regards Crawsue.
crawsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:59 PM   #32
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
My Monster forks are 916 Showa units which I took to Ktech for valve kit & re-spring as the springs from the 916 were too firm due to the Monster being a lighter bike.

Ktech used 5w oil in them (they also used 5w in my 916 Ohlins) when they did the job, IIRC they said because it makes them smoother/more progressive?

They work nicely but I found that they would bottom out under extreme braking. I asked Ktech and they advised to add an extra 5 or 10ml of oil to each leg. I did and this solved the bottoming out.

So I guess the oil and the quantity can be used to alter the way the forks work however, if they're just too firm then maybe you need lighter springs?

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote