UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Suspected timing shaft oil seal leak

Old Today, 03:27 PM   #1
yellowfever
Bronze Member

Bike: S2r 1000

This job is a far from ideal introduction to home servicing. You’ll need a few special tools, various slow to arrive parts (and then possibly more) and several elements have the potential to be a real pita. In my case the two screws on the crankcase access cover took nearly 2 weeks to undo including two extractor tool orders (one lost in the post) to get free. And that was before I started with the snap ring grief and getting a broken special order tool delivered.

Even without such calamities it is not an easy job with the engine still in the frame access is tricky and you’re likely to run I to some issues on one element or another of the job (eg removing the seal is not for the faint hearted).

But it can be done. For what it’s worth my top tips:

- If possible wait until winter so you’re not missing nice riding weather
- Order parts and special tools well in advance (bonus tip August is a bad month to get parts from Ducati!)
- Get the special end cap tool from Ducati but only use it for the seal install (without this it will be very hard not to damage the seal on installation)
- Make sure you have something to use as a long hollow drift to install the seal (even extra deep sockets aren’t long enough)
- Get special tool to lock timing shaft gear and to undo single use ring nut
- You can probably do without crankshaft rotating and locking tools and camshaft locking tools, just being careful aligning marks and using rear wheel in gear to rotate shaft. But better to get them if you can, useful for belt changes and setting timing anyway. Laser, JHP,, GB motorcycle products amongst others sell them for far less than Ducati. I mostly got from GB moto products as cheapest and I found them decent enough albeit a bit rough and ready in places (I had to adapt one a bit)
- Don’t reuse the locking ring nut - it’s not cheap but neither is destroying your engine and it’s strictly single use..
- Get two snap rings just in case (they’re cheap enough)
- Use the eyelets of small cotter pins slid over snap ring and pulled with pliers to help remove it.
- Use sharp metal pics to help get snap ring off and to extract seal
- Don’t stab yourself with the pics
- Put some tape over the seal boss to avoid scratches with inevitable slips removing snap ring and seal. Or just stab your finger instead.
yellowfever is offline   Reply With Quote