UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Rolling refresh S2R 1000 - side stand strip

Old Today, 05:23 PM   #1
yellowfever
Bronze Member

Bike: S2r 1000
Rolling refresh S2R 1000 - side stand strip

So whilst waiting for paint to dry on starter motor so I can do oil line mod/minor service oil change (see other “rolling refresh” posts), I decided to strip, clean, lubricate and reassemble the side stand.

Right away I was very glad I did. After removing the filthy spring and the side stand switch screw and the switch I discovered that the side stand pivot bolt could be unscrewed with my fingers!

Reading up online I found various tales of woe from falling over bikes to cracked cases, from those who have gone before me…

Sobering reading. And after more reading up/checking the parts diagram, it’s apparent that not only was the pivot bolt not correctly torqued it was also crucially missing the special locknut on the rear. Hence getting loose… glad I caught it before disaster struck…

As those who have gone before me on this have said - CHECK YOUR SIDESTAND!

I thoroughly cleaned everything up and reassembled for now. Correct torque leaves the stand too tight. Clearly this needs to be done with the locknut fitted so stand fits snugly but still moves freely.

Nothing in the manual but various lubrication advice online (use nothing, use WD40 only - both arguing against using things grit may stick to) or using bearing grease.

In the end I used a very light smear of bearing grease on pivot where it’s mostly hidden from road spray and WD40 for the rest.

It’s still none too smooth - spring seems fine, think it’s partly as I don’t want to leave bolt too loose until I have the locknut fitted (ordered today) and partly as the side stand switch is very stiff. These are apparently also fairly notorious. After various attempts at cleaning and lubricating the switch made little difference I bit the bullet and ordered a new one…

So it is OK for now, but when I get the parts I’ll fit the locknut and use some blue threadlock on the pivot bolt as well plus fit the new Sidestand switch, keeping the stiff one as an emergency spare. I’d also found the sheathing that protects the wire for the switch had an hole and a crack (from rubbing on the engine casing I think). Repaired with two coats of liquid electrical ‘tape’ - excellent stuff for these kinds of repairs.
yellowfever is offline   Reply With Quote