UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Fuels & Oils » Early M600 and E10 fuel

Old Yesterday, 10:36 PM   #1
spuggy

Bike: M900sie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
I think 5 star was 98Ron and Avgas is 100 Octane?
100 LL (low lead) is the most common Avgas nowadays, replacement for Avgas 100 (which had twice as much lead).

Last track I went to had 110 and 120LL pumps. They all represent not-quite-instant-but-pretty-darned-accelerated death to your O2 sensor, if you have one.

And they made very little difference to detonation on (my) forced induction motor either (I run knock control).

It's really not a great idea to run Avgas at all, unless your motor is tuned to suit ("110 race gas" even has a different stoichiometric ratio, 14.9, than regular gas) - and then you shouldn't run anything else.

Optimal fuel formulation for an aviation motor turning RPMs in a very narrow range (many only vary by 500 RPM or so in flight), at high altitudes (you think your carbie 900s ices the carbs badly?) is very different to what is ideal for a car or bike motor...

Around here, if you insist on running 13:1 compression in an iron cylinder head and want 110 octane (quoted as (R+M)/2, roughly 114 "research octane") leaded race fuel for a boat, car or bike, you go buy it in 5 gallon pails. It's pretty expensive. And dyed lest you (god forbid) use it anywhere but a sanctioned race event...
spuggy is offline   Reply With Quote