View Single Post
Old 27-07-2020, 09:55 AM   #10
spuggy

Bike: M900sie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
As standard they are too low and the tie bar if never adjusted is likely to be seized but you can change that if you're doing the shock anyway, you can get longer ones as well from other models.

I fitted an Ohlins (DU046) to mine and the spring is too soft for my weight but it still handled fine and I could get it in the ball park with the pre-load adjustment, a Nitron would probably be just as good with the correct spring.
Hmmm, if I'm not mistaken (I looked in vain for a used DU046 for my Dark), that's from the 900ie bikes - eg 330mm eye-to-eye, rather than the 305mm spec'd for the S4?

The Nitron R2 I got used (complete with a weight-appropriate spring) is actually 335mm eye-to-eye (with the adjustable bottom fitting wound all the way in).

I was intending to get it serviced & shortened; but now I'm thinking maybe I should just leave the length alone. Even noodling just fitting it as-is and seeing what it feels like...

Just out of interest, what model/lengths tie bars are commonly used to achieve the same jacking effect with the stock shock length?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren69 View Post
I jacked mine up to remove the rear bias that is standard on these and the early ones too would appear to be the same. It was enough to restore a more neutral 50/50 weight bias front to rear and made a big difference to how the bike felt in corners, I may have increased the front bias slightly I also fitted clip-ons, but enough to make a noticeable improvement to front grip feel and how the bike stays where you point it, instead of running wider on exit
Hmm - I don't really crave ground clearance or quick steering, but yeh, running wide on exit seems like a trait best corrected to me.
spuggy is offline   Reply With Quote