View Single Post
Old 19-11-2019, 07:54 PM   #1031
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
Too bloody cold to stay more than three hours in the garage today, numerous trips inside for a reviving cup of tea and a warm up, whatever, that time was productive.
Using some of these
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331834783479
I managed to open out the headlamp bezel hole in the front of the fly-screen. Originally I had traced a line out on the inside of the fly-screen shell around the inside of the chrome bezel. So the hole I would have cut would have been a)circular and b) about 3mm less on the radius than the outside of the chrome bezel.

Whilst the front of the fly-screen had been moulded with a flat front at the edges it slopes away towards the rear. Also the flat piece on the front was vertical whereas a headlamp has to point down by a few degrees. In consequence the hole in the front is not round but very slightly lozenge shaped. My original plan to project the chrome bezel about 10mm through the CF has been abandoned as if the headlamp is to have any up and down adjustment the lozenge shape has to accommodate the worst case of the top of the bezel being almost clear of the outer skin of the fly-screen and similarly at the bottom. With any degree of projection the lozenge is longer in up and down directions and if the headlamp is exactly in the middle there is a gap top and bottom which is unsightly.
Some while ago I bought some rubber edging “U” section 6mm deep and I plan to edge the hole with this with the hole just big enough (with the edging in place) to go over the slight projection the headlamp lens has in front of the bezel. This should also serve to stabilise the headlamp beam when going over bumps, i.e. restricting any oscillation in the rubber mounts, flex in the headlight shell support brackets.
As my oxygen bottles were delivered during the morning and to warm up a bit, I decided to finish brazing the centre part of my rear bracket which came out OK. The two channel pieces for attachment either side end channels will be brazed on when the other two mounting points are firmed up
Finally I fettled the top mount to fit with the instrument surround, tomorrow I should be able to drill the mounting holes and think of a way to fix it in position so that it can be bonded to the inside of the fly-screen.
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote