View Single Post
Old 13-11-2019, 03:16 PM   #1026
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
My adjustable headlamp mount went through a number of iterations. Finally I settled on this which is rubber mounted and gives me about 10mm vertical adjustment and about 20 mm fore and aft adjustment.

I started with some 6mm plate, some 25mm diameter aluminium bar and some 25mm aluminium hexagon.
The hexagon was cut 65mm long and through drilled 15mm then turned down in the middle and the ends were drilled across the faces 3mm. Two of the holes at each end were then tapped 4mm to take the rubber isolation mounts and a 4mm stainless grub screw to provide adjustability and secure the sliding part to the spigot. The other holes were opened out to 10mm to lighten it.
The bar was turned down to 15mm for all but 6mm of its length and drilled 10.5mm for 56mm. The 25mm diameter end of the bar was then drilled and tapped 8mm. Two 8mm x 25mm countersunk titanium socket screws will retain these spigots to the 6mm plate which will pick up the original mounting holes.

The failed CF version weighed 305g compared to the Monster original at 425 grams, this adjustable version weighs …………………………………………370g. Must try harder!
It took me 11 hours to make with almost the same length of time working out what to do beforehand (ETTC estimate 2 hours).

The definition of stupid is doing exactly the same thing and expecting a different outcome, I tried bending the plates in my home made bender which is OK up to 2mm but creates too tight a bend at 3mm thick material.
host pictures
Two hours of my life I will not see again. On the third attempt I used the vice and a piece of 75mm x 100 box section steel tube and a block of wood and a dead blow hammer which did the trick.
My solution compared to the Monster original means that the headlight beam has a greater chance of wandering laterally because the rubber mounts are not constrained in any way, but this is the only way I can come up with that enables me to get the fore and aft positioning right and still fit in the space envelope.
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote