View Single Post
Old 07-11-2019, 04:59 PM   #1025
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
Largish setback today, as is always the case when you move something it affects other things. I made the spacers to lower the instrument panel and had to cut the support plates for the headlamp and the swivel plate. Looking at it again I realised that the instrument plate would now foul the clip-ons so I spent an hour filing an adjustment to the instrument plate, then I tried the fly-screen again and the fore and aft positioning was still compromised as the headlamp bezel barely touches the inside of the screen and it needs to project through by about 10mm so I am still 10 to 15mm short.

I had to bow to the inevitable and recognise that my headlamp support plates were never going to fit with my fly-screen as long as I have a hole in my backside. Quite a lot of work is now just scrap.
The rest of the day was spent thinking what I would need to replace it.

I need a) fore and aft adjustability, b) vertical adjustability, c) sufficient rigidity in the mounting so the headlamp beam does not flutter all over the road.

Looking at the original Monster design it is actually a very good and clever design, relatively light weight and incorporates a resilient mounting where the side plates connect to the U bracket and provides guides for the front brake pipes. It also used the strength of the top yoke to support the mounting without compromising the adjustment of the steering head bearings through the use of the nylon inserts in the top of the U bracket.

Unfortunately I cannot use it with my instrument panel and fly-screen. I have drawn something up that I think will work and which incorporates a rubber mounting as well, however I think it might be on the heavy side compared to the original.

I will try to knock it out tomorrow.
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote