View Single Post
Old 06-11-2019, 08:22 PM   #1023
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
Interesting day today, I decided to try to fit the fly-screen. The first debate I had with myself was whether I should paint it, then cut it to fit or vice versa. Option 2 won.
The fly-screen will have about 5 interfaces, a) at the bottom it has to sit level with the bottom of the bottom yoke, b) in the centre it has to sit over and around the headlight lens bezel, c) and d) on either side the clip-ons and brake and clutch levers and the associated hydraulic master cylinders and e) at the top it has to pass over the instrument surround and engage with the “ears” I made on the aluminium surround to mount the fly-screen at the top. I cannot contemplate reconciling c) and d) until the forks are in and the clip-ons and master cylinders are attached and angled correctly so cutting the fly-screen for these will have to wait anyway.
I was very conscious that an awful lot of hours have gone into the fly-screen and it could easily be ruined by one slip of the cutting disc on the Dremel.
First I tackled the cutting of a “dashboard” that will engage with the “ears” and form the top mounting. The fly-screen was offered up and an approximate position for the dashboard was established by simply drawing round the instrument surround with a sharpie pen. A cardboard template was then fashioned to follow that line but 6mm further forward to take account of the thickness of the instrument surround. The CF sheet was duly jig sawed out of the sheet of CF I made earlier. All this took a couple of hours.
Next I took the chrome bezel and positioned it a) as close to central and b) in as close to the right place vertically as I could determine on the inside of the fly-screen and drew round the inside of it (generously inside of it) and cut the hole for the bezel.
I then offered the cut fly-screen up to check my cutting. It was in about the right place laterally and vertically but the headlamp bezel was 10 to 25mm aft of the front of the fly-screen. All this positioning was without any solid mountings – “hanging in the air” so to speak.
I decided therefore that I needed to make the lower mounts and at least fix the bottom of the fly-screen vertically and centrally to the position of the fork stanchions. After cutting and annealing some 4mm aluminium about an hour later I had two brackets that approximately set the lower rear edge of the fly-screen in relation to the bottom yoke. My headlamp bezel was still c20mm adrift from the front of the fly screen. Bugger!!!.
Consideration was given to making a Perspex window for the headlamp to shine through but this just seemed like extra complication and weight and the 20mm gap would still be there. Also the existing meagre Monster headlamp would be emasculated further by additional diffraction
The aluminium brackets I made were unsatisfactory as the primary bend in both of them was c 135 degrees so the chances of them surviving very long are slim to say the least. Other designs were contemplated that would not involve bending more than 90 degrees. None are yet finalised.
To reduce the gap between the bezel and the fly-screen, I will tomorrow spacer the instrument surround down about 6 to 8mm which should enable the fly-screen to move backwards the requisite amount. This use of spacers will require alleviation of material on two other components and a potential clash with the wiring loom coming into the space behind and above the headlamp shell. Looks like a fun day tomorrow. The dashboard I made first during the course of the day will almost certainly not fit without further modification as the angle of attack of the fly-screen to the instrument surround will be at a lower angle.
So 4 hours in the garage and no concrete progress apart from an approximately correctly positioned hole in the front of the fly-screen.
Although I complain I actually love doing jobs like this. Masochist or what?
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote