View Single Post
Old 03-11-2019, 08:14 PM   #1022
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
Unusually for a weekend I had about 8 hours in the garage (SWMBO is away), virtually all my time was in preparing the tank, seat hump and fly-screen for painting. 600, then 800 and then 1000 grade papers, boy it was dull but better than watching the rugby I decided after 50 minutes.

I bought the paint a few months ago from a supplier recommended on another forum and bought exactly what they recommended that I needed for the job. It was not cheap about £200 for c 4 litres total of 4 different sorts of paint/finish.

Yesterday (and unusually for me) I decided to read the information and instructions on how to use it.
First was a two pack primer mixed 1 : 1 in 500ml bottles and supposed to be laid onto a 1200 grit rub down in 2 very thin coats with an hour between coats and sprayed so that the surface remains matt.

Next was a 1 litre bottle of light grey base coat followed by the same quantity of colour coat (red of course).The surprise for me is that these are both water based and remain water soluble after drying (?). The base coat is applied in thin coats until the colour is consistent on the work piece and the surface should remain matt. The top coat recommendation is 3 light coats, more coats and the colour will darken apparently. It should dry matt. The recommendation is that there is no rubbing down between any of these water based coats and definitely no water used with wet and dry.

Finally there was a 2 pack lacquer with the recommendation that this is applied in 2 thin coats and this is done in a warm and dry atmosphere or it will bloom. More coats of lacquer are likely to cause a yellowish tinge to the final colour.

I have bought this so I shall have to use it but I have a number of concerns with the water based paints

What happens if the very thin lacquer coat gets scratched does the paint then bleed from the scratch if it is left in the rain? It is very easy for a jacket zip to catch the tank for example.

I think that the water based paints will severely limit my livery options as I do not think it will be easy to remove any residual glue from masking tape without compromising the colour coat.

The concept of this paint system is obviously is driven by the car industry, use as little as possible and apply it very accurately (robot paint booth) and my chief concern is that I do not have that level of skill – all my experience is to get a good wet coat on and rub down any runs afterwards and repeat the process until you have a reasonable finish. Old dog and new tricks chimes here.
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote