View Single Post
Old 26-04-2021, 07:20 PM   #69
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
The clutch saga continues, first I tried lots of heat but alas no counter-clockwise movement so no further forward.
Next, I tried welding the modified socket to the retaining"nut". It moved and initially appeared to be undoing but alas it seems the 7mm steel retaining stud is supposed to be held somehow in the aluminium clutch hub. It is no longer fixed to the hub so I still have a spring retaining nut that revolves counterclockwise but will not actually take any tension off the spring.
Grinding off the socket off the first stud and then welding it to each of the other two studs only resulted in the welds tearing off and no forward progress.
Tomorrow I shall carefully centre punch the ends of the 3 x 7mm recalcitrant studs and try to drill the studs out from within the retaining nuts.
If I am successful with this I should be able to get the pressure plate off and undo the clutch hub retaining nut and find out how the studs are retained in the back of the hub. I might be able to convert them to 8mm studs and using an 8mm set screw tap the hole in the clutch hub so that they are positively retained rather than, as I suspect, retained by a (chewed up) hexagon-shaped indent in the back of the casting.
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote