View Single Post
Old 11-01-2023, 09:49 PM   #5
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
My experience of rebuilds is that as soon as you farm something out, you lose control and sometimes lose some bits and always lose a fair bit of money.
It's a big thing to entrust an entire bike to someone else and it's going to be a big bill at the end for sure.

I like to do as much as possible myself and only farm out stuff like blasting and powder coating to people I trust and know well. I guess I'm fortunate in having mates in some handy trades.

If I were in your shoes I think I would be thinking in terms of powering up the garage and turning it into a workshop.
First thing would be a portable generator which you could drop outside the door and start up when you want to work in there. they run so quietly these days that I don't think anyone would know you had it?
It would be a fair investment for sure but you'd probably sell it for what you bought it for when you're done with it.
Come to that if it's just light you need, there are loads of brilliant rechargeable lights that would last at least an evening at a time.

What you're planning doesn't need a huge amount of tools and those mostly last a lifetime, so no ill store.

I built my first bike up when I was 16-17 on the 4' x 6' "veranda" of a garden shed, with some black polythene draped over the roof and weighed down round the edges. A lead-lamp gave me light and I could feel the snow and hail on by back through the polythene at times as there wasn't really enough room for me and the bike. I had to work on one side at a time with the bike pushed to one side or other.
I got a proper shed eventually and built the bike all over again the next winter under proper lights and with a bench.. Luxury..

Last edited by Mr Gazza; 11-01-2023 at 09:55 PM..
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote