View Single Post
Old 23-05-2022, 07:39 PM   #17
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters

I bought some alternate forum software (the same as that other channel that most of you are well aware of), stuck it on AWS and have tried migrating this forum's data to it a couple of times with varying degrees of success, in order to solve the broken picture upload issue that bugs the current forum as well as a few other issues, however repeated requests for anyone with relevant computer skills to share the admin burden have been met with no response whatsoever and tying myself to supporting a new system with little or no help was always a non-starter for me, especially as I quit two decades of working in IT because it was starting to make me very miserable indeed. I've also been very preoccupied with my recovery, which has to take precedence for me.
Lars is also right that over the years hosting photos has the potential to become an out of control expense, again I don't think that should be my call right now.

Yes Gary, we can set up polls for anything you like.

I inherited a small building society account from benson (who was joint President with Pedro before me) however this was almost useless, with no chequebook and no facility for internet banking, leading me to use my own bank account for money in/out. This is essentially just hosting costs plus the odd sundry expense. The building society has since stopped doing free club/charity accounts and I 'just' need to fill in the ridiculous international money laundering forms to get the balance out. It's spare change FFS. I am piecing together all the receipts etc. to work out which way the balance is owing, to me or the club. I will make the 'books' available and hand over any balance when I go.
I'll also hand over any freebies I've received from Ducati at WPMs etc, that I'm sitting on for when someone needs weekender raffle prizes etc. These tend to be end of line merchandise items that are left over when this year's stuff comes out.

I didn't specifically list others who have served as regional reps, weekender organisers and on the 'board', as I figured accidentally missing someone off might be more offensive than not naming everyone personally. They know who they are and are well aware that the more you put into the club, the more you get out!

Since my decision to stick with the DOC thing, we've been restricted to who we can advertise (DMH won't allow DOCs to advertise unoffical dealers or services they see as direct competition) so our hosting for 2022 is tied to DUK advertising. This means the club needs the three board members, at least to the end of the year, after that the club could return to whatever the collective membership wants. Otherwise the residual advertising money might need paying back and I'll just switch off the lights on my way out, frankly I'd have felt better about dying on a roadside near Aylesbury than doing that.

The many messages of support and sympathy I've received here and by email are heartwarming, it's not what this post is about. My previous attempts to stand down (2015 and 2017 IIRC) have invariably been met with 'you're doing a grand job, carry on', which I don't think has been good for the club in the long run. I have been progressively running out of momentum to take the UKMOC forward even before my accident. A club of mostly middle aged men, who are dying off with frightening regularity won't have a great future.
Despite the 'trellis purists', we need to welcome ALL Monster owners. I'm genuinely upset that I didn't get to test ride the latest generation of bikes, apparenty they're an absolute hoot. People almost always tend to resist change to some degree, get over it!

I also need to talk to DMH/DUK and find out what the process is for replacing the board members from their point of view, since I'm the one who signed the 2022 regs etc. ...assuming I'm not forced to take the 'nuclear option'.

Rob
--

Last edited by slob; 23-05-2022 at 07:41 PM..
slob is offline   Reply With Quote