View Single Post
Old 06-12-2013, 06:24 PM   #23
500ruk

Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia View Post
That doesn't sound stupid at all, though I would add that you might be best to at least get a sound runner in original condition rather than a full project with its attendant hidden problems.
You'll probably end up working on the bike quite a lot anyway, as they are addictively mod.able, so better to spend time doing that.
The good news is that the 2-valve engines are actually delightfully easy to work on, with the possible exception of the desmo valve clearances.
You should find one at this time of the year.

Early carbed motors had different cases, an internal clutch slave cylinder and a single phase alternator.
Later carbies had external clutch slaves (easier to upgrade to reduce the heavy lever action) and three phase alternators.
The differences are most visible from the lefthand side of the cases.
Of the two, I'd pick a later one, but its not a huge issue.

A carby monster is actually a great budget bike, if you service it yourself. ....apart from the expensive modding, that is.
Thankyou for your advice! I was planning on getting something that ran well, and then taking it from there.....

I dont mind how beaten up or neglected its been during its life. Its going back to frame to be powdercoated, painted, polished, and given a good overhaul! Like ive said, the cbr will do me until next summer, and im lucky in that i was left a really good workshop (building in a field) by my grandfather which ive been cleaning out and painting ready for the monster

Just need the bike and a haynes manual now