View Single Post
Old 25-03-2019, 01:57 PM   #43
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Well to be perfectly honest I don't remember asking, but that was because I was pretty sure that it would be stainless wire ... he only deals with stainless exhaust fabrication.

And yes, I have blended the welds (well 90% anyway).
I used a flap wheel that I have only previously used on ally.

Tbh, I feel a bit disappointed that I wasn't able to get some of your own welding work on the bike, for sentiment as much as quality, but the logistics of clamping it all up and then getting it down south without it moving precluded that, sadly.
The guy who did it works within walking distance of my house.

This has all got me motivated to buy myself a little tig machine and have a go myself in future.
Welding has always been one of those engineering skills that I have lacked (though I did dip my toe in the mig pool last year).

Latest news is that I fired the bike up in the shed and, on first impressions, it is "illegitimately" loud.
So I made up a little db killer type of baffle using a cone of Capo's left over perforated (stainless) core tube and nipped down the road to get it welded up.
Seems to work quite well and although it may not be a permanent fixture, it gives me options.

The sound is just as I had hoped .. not so much a harsh "brapp" but more of a bass "bwop" if you see what I mean.

A few pics will hopefully follow, once I've sorted out the "postimage" thing.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote