Flip

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia View Post
Excellent stuff, Flip.
And thanks very much for the offer.
I'll see how things go.

Your system is interesting actually.
Am I seeing it right ? ... It looks like your stubs fit INSIDE the headers rather than outside .....?
That's the direction that my thoughts are going at the moment.
In fact I'm currently having a bash at machining up some adaptor sleeves that will enable me to do a mock-up assembly using internal-fitting stubs which are basically the cut-off ends from std headers (with further sleeves to adapt their 40mm OD to the 42.5mm bore of the Sil headers).
These are being made from the aforementioned rusty scaffold tube.
With any luck, using these I might even be able to fire up the motor briefly with the system reasonably securely fitted.

If your stubs are fitted inside the headers, could you measure the bore for me please ?
I'm wondering if they've attempted to blend the diameters of exhaust port and pipe as I mentioned before.

And yes, I think you have a point about the benefit of losing the X collector.
I'd forgotten about that.
Putting it all together, I reckon I would be unlucky to end up with a worse system than my current one .. which leaves the weight loss and simplicity benefits as gains.
Best case scenario might even be a few more bhp and better mid-range torque .. but tbh, my holy grail is only a meagre 70 bhp.
That's enough on the right roads .. but I do like light weight and a nimble chassis.

Where's the fingers crossed smiley face ??
Jeff, apologies but I haven't had much time to get in the garage this week- do you still want the measurements etc?

Let me know and I will dig out the box of pipes and get the vernier at the ready.