View Single Post
Old 26-07-2017, 02:46 AM   #12
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
I had a closer look at my modified chain adjusters.
The stainless studs are held solid in the internal adjuster blocks with a stainless half-nut (locknut).
There's room for this without it fouling the inside of the swingarm end cap .. or at least there's plenty with my particular sprocket/chain length combo.
In fact, the studs are hollow .. but only because I'd made them for an earlier job that got redesigned. There's no stress on them though, so why not save a smidgeon of unsprung weight ?
The adjuster nuts are titanium, flange, nylock nuts, bought cheaply from china .. I just had to wait a long time.
I initially modded them this way in order to prevent the possibility of the original adjuster bolts loosening and allowing the swingarm end caps to swing into the sprocket for a good mangling .. apparently not uncommon.
A secondary but still very useful benefit was that it was easy to maintain chain adjustment, as the nylock nuts are always tight on the studs, even when the wheel is removed.
I later realised that a third benefit was that the working threads were now stainless on titanium instead of the original plated steel in ally, and therefore less subject to wear.
And, I don't know how useful it is but you can remove an endcap with the wheel still in situ if you like ... I did it the other week, mid-run, to show Gazza the gubbins inside.
Only downside is that you have to have a bit of spare stud sticking out the end of the swingarm caps for adjustment, rather than the neater looking bolt heads of the original system .. but its a small price to pay for a mechanically better system, in my opinion.

I know .. the usual lack of pics .. sorry.

Actually, I only really started writing this because I wanted to say that I now have a proper pair of endcaps .. thanks to Darkness.
His insistence that any payment should be in the form of inwardly reflected club goodwill was priceless, and added significant value to an otherwise humble piece of ally.
Nice.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote