View Single Post
Old 27-11-2019, 03:41 PM   #1036
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
Today brings news of fresh disasters (meaning more work /time to completion).

First I made up two 6mm aluminium spacers to replace the 6mm plywood fitting in the cartridge gun. The pressure required to force the two part epoxy into the mixing nozzle was causing the plywood to bend/split. I used two x 100mm x 6mm coach bolts to act as the pistons threaded into some hole saw “washers” left over from some lightening holes.

Next I checked the solidity of the lower front mount which were left to cure overnight, both sides were secure but the second side I glued yesterday still had a globules of unset resin which I cleaned up as best as I could without removing the fly-screen. I did not want to disturb the position and jeopardise alignment of the top mount.

Then I set about glue-ing the top fly-screen mount in position. To ensure the maximum contact area between the inside of the screen and the steel bracket I had to move it forward which involved quite a lot of buggering about with spacers, trying different thicknesses and different length bolts, bolting them on and readjusting etc., etc. Eventually I worked out the best position which was 35mm forward of the instrument surround. The intention is to use 15mm x 15mm x 5mm male/female vibration mounts so I needed to make up some 19mm thick spacers.
I got about half way through forcing the glue between the steel and the CF when it was obvious that I had the same problem I had yesterday. The resin comprises a white element and a black one, the white is more viscous than the black, evidently the pressure was forcing the white resin past the plunger seal and only the black stuff was going down the nozzle. Also I have no idea how much properly mixed “good stuff” got deposited before the issue arose. What I do know is that the less viscous black stuff started dribbling onto the headlamp shell below. When I tried to wipe it off it took the paint off and not just the top coat either, so now the headlamp shell will have to be rubbed down and re-painted.

All I can do is hope that enough good stuff got deposited to secure the top bracket in place so that I can take the fly-screen off and apply a couple of laminations of CF over and around the bracket without it moving position.

Other issues are that with the rake of the screen I have got, the lower edges of the fly-screen will have to be cut to clear the fork legs and the pivoting bracket for the regulator rectifier which will be mounted on a bearing from the top yoke centre nut underneath the bottom yoke.

On a positive note I knocked up the required spacers from 7/8” aluminium bar machined down to 15.5mm, through drilled 4mm and tapped 5mm and then the circumference wasted to lighten them.

Also I think that the front mount and the top mount together will be strong enough without the need for the tubular steel one already made (but needing to be cut to length and the side plates brazed on at an angle). If so then no visible external fixings on the fly-screen
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote