View Single Post
Old 20-08-2023, 06:31 PM   #11
spuggy

Bike: M900sie
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry View Post
yes I concur seen similar on S4 in Thailand had to replace fuel lines just doing a 1991 750ss it will get new hoses too could not get submersible hose in Thailand but replacing it every few years will be ok
Yeh, the wrong hoses obviously last a few years before they fail, and I guess it's acceptable if you (a) know and (b) can't get the correct hose... What confused me was the really quite different symptoms between my other Monster with a failed high-pressure supply hose and this one - the only common symptom being "ran progressively worse until it stopped", LOL.

Amazing this one ran at all really - this is what came out:

%^%$#^%$%^$. That's not even injection-rated fuel hose, you muppet.. That's low-pressure hose for carbs...

PO used a small shop he thought highly of; owner was an ex-Ducati dealer wrench, apparently. I have yet to be impressed by anything I've encountered that's been non-factory...

Things like
  • replaced the aged out belts - shockingly slack when covers removed. 6mm allen? Coulda used my thumb LOL...
  • incorrect chain - too many links. 75-100mm of play? The sticker right on the damned swing arm says "25mm mid-point".

And now these hoses. Not to mention the (mis-matched & obviously non-factory) breather hoses were just ridiculously short, one of them safety-wired(!) on, rather than clamped. And the main feed hose clamp to the tank fitting was the wrong size (too large) & binding on itself before it clamped the hose.

Remade the in-tank hoses with 30R10. Used Oetiker clamps where the factory did - correct crimp tool makes those a doddle. Used to loathe 'em, but am coming around...

Bike now starts first stab of the button and runs like it should. Even idles cold, not that I do that much to engines I want to keep around...

Heh. I've done the in-tank pump thing maybe 5-6 times now - but it took a YouTube video before I realized that the power cable is made that long so you can get the pump outside the tank to fiddle with it. I'd always done it with my fingertips inside the tank before - it is certainly a lot easier the other way, LOL... Still kind of a PITA job though...
spuggy is offline   Reply With Quote