View Single Post
Old 01-02-2021, 12:40 PM   #7
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Just to re-iterate what the others have wisely said.
Fore and aft declivity doesn't make very much difference, as the sight hole if fairly near the middle of the sump.
However as Utopia mentioned the athwartships angle makes a lot of difference.
It is well worth checking the bike for level across the beam, by using the filler cap as a datum.
I did this when my bike was on it's rear stand and corrected the pads on the stand with shims and taped them on once it was correct. I now know that she's level every time as I laid my workshop floor with a laser.

When I change oil, I always fill the new oil filter before fitting it and this saves a lot of filling through the little hole, but also ensures instant supply to the pump on re-start.

I always check the level again after a warm up run (and also that the oil light goes out!)
It very often settles and needs a little top up. I would probably do that on her wheels on the deck, squatting down by the sight glass and doing my best to balance the bike upright with the right handlebar... Try that and see how little movement makes the oil level shoot about.

A low level is not a bad thing if it's cold, as it will warm up quicker. High level at any time can cause high crankcase pressure, which in extreme case can lead to excessive breathing out of oil, oil leaks or even blowing the piston crowns off!!

Did you check the level properly after it's service? It could have been filled to the lower level anyway?

If you top up, make sure you use the same sort of oil as already in there.