View Single Post
Old 19-01-2018, 08:43 AM   #510
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
Some progress on the wiring see below.
The aforementioned ratchet crimper is centre picture in yellow. I bought very cheaply (£2.50 ish) an automatic wire stripper (in red and black) which works amazingly well, removing the sheath without damaging the copper cores at all.
All the wires are now in the right place except regulator/alternator and side stand cut out switch which I do not think I will bother fitting. The hard bit now is to fit the multiple pin connectors.
I intend to do away with bullet and Lucas type spade connectors wherever possible and am using waterproof connectors from flea bay (rated at 11 amps), these suffer from 2 disadvantages: 1. they are bigger than bullets and absorb precious space, and 2. the connector pins are fragile and need to be crimped very accurately or they do not fit into the plastic housing. Trying to force them in only causes them to break – guess how I know this. There is then the knock on that the connection has to be re-made and you lose 12mm or so off the length of the wire (re-stripping etc,), if you do it twice then your very accurately cut to length lead starts to look a bit distant from the connection point – guess also how I know this.
My jaws on my ratchet crimper are too wide for the pin connectors, I obviously discovered this after I had buggered up one set of terminal tangs. I think I will have to modify an old set of snipe nose pliers (with a thin grindstone in my Dremel) to get a crimping device that works.
Where I do not have the correct coloured cable (eg. a yellow striped green) I have been shrink wrapping 4mm long green idents every 75mm or so on a yellow cable. It is boring work but nice to do it “correctly” so whoever gets the bike after I am in my box can work out what goes where. I stopped doing it around the steering head bearing part of the loom as it increases the stiffness of the cables there. For reasons of congestion behind the steering head bearing I am putting the multi-pin connectors in front of the steering stem tube. There will be 2 x 6 pins for the instruments, 1 x 4 headlamp, 4 x 2 pins RH /LH indicators and front brake light switch and kill switch, and one other probably 6 pin for LH switch unit. The regulator connector will be below the bottom yoke.
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote